• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water changes (how long it takes)

billy boy said:
I have always added hot water to get the temp right! If you fill with cold water only, Thats bound to take in temp way down :?

billy boy adding cold water to your setup in summer will only affect your temp if you add it to fast,but saying that on a smaller tank than mine then it could be a problem,

regards john.

JamesM said:
Never had a problem in 20 years adding hot water straight from the tap. Don't give Paul another thing to worry about John!

Hi James,
most hot water tanks are made from copper,plus the pipe work can contain all sorts of contaminantes,I have known friends in the past who used to do the same and lost fish as a result,maybe you have just been lucky?

Regards john.

I've lived in three houses (new and old) in the last 20 years and kept fish in all of them. Now I can't say I've never lost a fish due to a water change, but I can't say I have either. My shrimp certainly don't mind a heavy water change using hot water from a tap, and at one point I easily had over 300 in a 70 litre. And do you see any unhealthy plants in my tank atm?

JamesM said:
I've lived in three houses (new and old) in the last 20 years and kept fish in all of them. Now I can't say I've never lost a fish due to a water change, but I can't say I have either. My shrimp certainly don't mind a heavy water change using hot water from a tap, and at one point I easily had over 300 in a 70 litre. And do you see any unhealthy plants in my tank atm?

no unhealthy plants James,buy your house has fell down, :lol: ,

regards john

john starkey said:
JamesM said:

regards john
Luckily I have some bricks to start building a new one! :thumbup:

And its a good job I'm not a lorryist, or I'd be far too busy murdering prostitutes :woot:

JamesM said:
john starkey said:
JamesM said:

regards john
Luckily I have some bricks to start building a new one! :thumbup:

And its a good job I'm not a lorryist, or I'd be far too busy murdering prostitutes :woot:

Jesus Christ James that's a bit harsh isn't it,you shouldn't tar all
lorry drivers with the same brush,you get weirdos in all walks of life including this forum

John .

john starkey said:
lorry drivers with the same brush,you get weirdos in all walks of life including this forum

John .
:lol: Relax John... you obviously don't watch Top Gear :p

JamesM said:
john starkey said:

John .

I watch top gear but must have missed that one. I also drive a lorry for a living so pray tell cause at the minute I'm finding it quite offensive.

Regards, Chris.

chris1004 said:
JamesM said:
john starkey said:

John .

I watch top gear but must have missed that one. I also drive a lorry for a living so pray tell cause at the minute I'm finding it quite offensive.

Regards, Chris.

Are you serious :eek: I to drive a lorry for a liveing and i am sooo not offened :lol: :lol:

I am new to this forum and was reading this post chain which is quite interesting. I have a 560 litre discus tank set up in January this year. I cange 240 liter of the tank water every day and it takes me about 50 minutes. :silent:
I use a 80:20 mixture of RO : HMA water and at the same temperature with that of the auqrium water.

Amount of pruning, scape design etc influences this(gardening),
This has Nothing to do with a water change however

Water change itself should take just a couple of minutes in actual labor/time.

For small tanks, the bucket and drain is a minute or two with a good sized siphon hose.
For larger tanks, a DIY hose with a U shape PVC "hook", adapter to the bath/shower just takes set up time for the drain and then refill.

During that time when you wait, gardening etc can be done.
But the water change itself is still only 2-3 min of labor to add the hose and start the siphon/refill.

Most of the labor is cleaning filters, trimming, gardening etc.

Total labor per week for my 180 Gal, 120 Gal, 2 x 60 Cubes and the 20 ADA is about 2 hours.
Total weekly time for a 350 Gal of a client's : 1.5 hours.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Back