• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water Changes straight from the tap

Jaap

Hi,

I am adding water directly from the tap and just throwing in Seachem Prime during the filling up. Is this ok or does it kill all the beneficiary bacteria?

Thanks

As long as your filter is switched off during the water change then I don't see it being a major problem. As you say, you are adding Prime as you are filling up therefore I would not worry. Most of the bacteria is housed within the filter media so you will be fine.

I hope that helps

I do it the same way, turn my filter off, once tank is full, add dechlor and switch filter back on.

I'm doing the exact same. Just have to dose enough Prime for the whole tank volume, not just the volume of the water being changed.

Is there a problem with using your hot tap along with you cold? Sure i read that somewhere

I also did read some people saying hot water will contain more copper when running through copper and there for shrimps should be at risk because they are extra sensitive to minute quantities of copper in the water.. I actualy do not know in how far this could be true and if so i also do not realy believe it is something for us to worry about..

What i do know is that above 60 degree celcius, boiler scale will form and attach to the inner pipe wall. Generaly we use a temperature of minimal 70 degree celcius for hot water, because this is the temperatur most nasty bacteria which could come with it will die at 70 c and above. Anyway so your hot water copper pipe if not brandnew will always have a (thin) layer calcium/magnisium on it's inner wall, so the hot water doesn't even touch any copper.

After some years in hardwater areas it could even look like this..
whitepaper-steam-scale.jpg

:)

I also did read some people saying hot water will contain more copper when running through copper
It is not a worry. People are confusing copper piping and lead piping. If the copper did dissolve in water in measurable and shrimp poisonous amounts then all the copper pipes in our houses would soon dissolve and we would suffer leaky pipes all the time. Also the layer of hardness, whether natural or phosphate added by water company in soft water areas, will quickly coat the pipes preventing any copper coming into direct contact with water.

That's very interesting. One thing I do notice when running my hot water tap is that it starts slightly cloudy before settling down quickly?
I just worry if doing larger water changes that the cold water may affect the fish

The cloudiness is just dissolved gas coming out of solution when pressure is released.

I water change using hot tap with cherries and ammano,
No problems, tank running for two years.

I always leave my filters running during water change:
- python system connected to toilet or outside for draining step
- then hook up to tap & set water temp
- begin tank refill
- add Prime diluted into ~ 700 ml container & place refill device into this container as it prevents any substrate disturbance

Having had shrimps/sensitive fish wander directly into my tank chemical additions (not so nice an effect especially for the shrimp :oops:) I now always use this dilution method

Same here drain, add declorinator, leave filter running full on to disperse it though the remaining volume and fill direct from cold 50% water change. Drops temp up to 5-6 degrees but the fish don't seem to mind in fact the ottos and shrimp seem to love it.

Have done this using hot and cold water and Seachem Prime for many years and have not had any problem with shrimps or fish. I think it is advisable especially in the winter to mix the cold water with warm water as the temperature of the water is colder, and if doing large water changes can drop the temperature in the tank too much. I have found that sometimes Cardinals can be intolerant of this and have known them to break out in Whitespot due to the stress of the temperature change.

I always leave my filters running during water change:
- python system connected to toilet or outside for draining step
- then hook up to tap & set water temp
- begin tank refill
- add Prime diluted into ~ 700 ml container & place refill device into this container as it prevents any substrate disturbance

Having had shrimps/sensitive fish wander directly into my tank chemical additions (not so nice an effect especially for the shrimp :oops:) I now always use this dilution method

I like the look of this python system, I will have to check if my taps have the threading, I am not sure that the mixer taps in my kitchen or bathroom do. I currently fill up 25 litre containers in the shower, by taking the shower head off and just using the hose. That hose does have a thread in the end for the shower head, do you think that is the same size thread as the python requires and would it still work attached to a shower hose?

Do also note there have been reports of people cracking/exploding their tank heaters when the cold tap water comes into contact as they left them on during water change.

I have to say I do not use any dechlorinator and I fill directly from the tap. No problems at all
Until the water company put extra chlorine/chloramine in due to "issues" and you will wipe out your tank. People have lost £1000's of fish due to incidents like this.

Back