• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water changes

Rich Jackson

I have a 100 litre water butt that I fill with RO water for water changes .. question is should it be heated before I fill my tank or will fish cope with lower temp until water heats up in tank . I see a lot of videos with what looks like people just refilling with garden hoses or similar ?

should it be heated before I fill my tank
It all depends on temperature difference, robustness of tank heater and tank circulation.
Personally I try to match water temperatures for water changes (approx 50%) but not for water top ups due to evaporation losses.
Fish do not mind temperature swings (often used to induce spawning) but why strain the tank heater when a kettle of hot water added to the water change container will due the trick. (I am assuming about ten gals of water per change)
People using a hose pipe typically run it from a mixer tap especially if using straight tap water.

I have a 100 litre water butt that I fill with RO water for water changes .. question is should it be heated before I fill my tank or will fish cope with lower temp until water heats up in tank . I see a lot of videos with what looks like people just refilling with garden hoses or similar ?
What size water changes do you undertake and what species of fish do you keep?

I prepare my water the day before so it has time to reach room temperature, roughly 30% water change on a 25°C aquarium.
What temperature do you plan to run your tank? Do you run the RO hose straight in or first into a reservoir?

I prepare my water the day before so it has time to reach room temperature, roughly 30% water change on a 25°C aquarium.
What temperature do you plan to run your tank? Do you run the RO hose straight in or first into a reservoir?

Plan to run at 24 c . I can put a heater in my water butt if needed . I run it straight to the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can put a heater in my water butt if needed . I run it straight to the tank
You're running the RO water directly into the tank? Or you have a water butt and a way to fill your aquarium from there? If it's the latter then I would just prepare it the day before, around 20 to 24°C is not a big difference.

You're running the RO water directly into the tank? Or you have a water butt and a way to fill your aquarium from there? If it's the latter then I would just prepare it the day before, around 20 to 24°C is not a big difference.

Sorry yes fill water butt then pump into aquarium from there .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the short answer is they won’t care.

I’m at 26 degrees and when I do a 50% from the tap it’s drops to 21 or so. But soon warms up again. I leave the circulation pump on when re filling. The fish don’t appear to notice.

In nature a river see decent temp variations I think from rain, weather, seasons and streams feeding the river ect

Bad example but ever swim in the sea and go through hot and cold patches?

All that said, if you can easily lessen the change. Why not :) if it’s not possible I wouldn’t loose sleep over it

Back