• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water changes...

No water meter, but if they tried to switch us I'd want a discount on the sewerage fees as I've recently modified my pond filter so that all it's old water goes onto the garden meaning Severn Trent don't have to treat any of it! Don't know how well that arguement would go down, but I know they can do/have done something similar when you first fill something like swimming pools. And none of the waste RO water is wasted as it all goes into the pond.

Sam,
How about you put a domestic water tank somewhere to fill up with the float valve in? Before I found the slimline water butt (which is only just over 12" wide) I was thinking of a water tank up on a strong shelving bracket out of the way. Maybe you could fit one in somewhere?

Thanks for this post and the person who gave the link to order a python... i have two 400 litre aquariums and i am just re-entering the hobby from a 2 year absence. The thought of doing 50% water changes with 14 lite buckets was somewhat daunting.

This should help. I bought a universal adapter aswell just incase the python attatchment does not fit to the tap.

:) :D

I think I have to get smarter now with filling up the tank for water changes. I can easily siphon out the water into 10 ltr buckets for the water changes it's just putting the new water back in, don't want to uproot plants and or mess up the gravel arrangement.

I am hoping that my Juwel pump will fit to the bit of hose/pipe/tubing or whatever that came with the different bits and bobs I've collected over time. Otherwise, I'll have to get another pump.

After seeing the Green Machine's emptying/refilling method in action, I ordered a cheapo pump off fleabay, some tubing and an eheim intake pipe (not a crook as the intake has a longer curve if you know what I mean) and it should be ready to use - I had to superglue the supplied nozzle onto the pump as it was a bit too loose, so should be cured to use tonight! How excited am I?

The hose is long enough to reach to the water butt for emptying too so no more lugging buckets outside in the summer.

Previously, would have to change 100l of water using 4x12l B&Q buckets from which the handles fall off for a pasttime :rolleyes:

Watching the water pump back in is a simple pleasure but highly satisfying :D . You'll wonder why you've not done it before Chrisi. Just remember to turn the pump down a bit otherwise it tends to shoot out like niagara falls!

Here's a pic of my tank being refilled via my pump in the garage, from a water butt.

DSC00124.jpg

I can understand you doing it TDI given the volume of your tank, but it's good to see a picture. Right, I'm off to play with said pump and pipes ;)

Yeah, 200-300 litres Chrisi per change, that's 20-30 buckets of water, meaning there is always a little slop of water somewhere.

Luckily i have no carpets! :rolleyes:

Hi guys,

I use my external filter to change the water,
The inlet tube has one of the new snap on type valve connectors that you can switch on and off so I just disconnect that add a pipe which I run to the bathroom then open it and it empties...so long as the water level of the sink or whatever is lower than the tank level. Then to fill I just connect my inlet pipe back up . I then use the long lenght of pipe and place tone end in the sink and fill that with water at the temp I need. Then I syphon water from the sink then quickly connect that to the base of the filter and switch it on. The Im able to open the valves and the filter will run the water back into the tank via the spray bar as normal. Easy with no mess...possibly slightly slower than using a python??
Any other guys do this?

John

Superman said:
I think I have to get smarter now with filling up the tank for water changes. I can easily siphon out the water into 10 ltr buckets for the water changes it's just putting the new water back in, don't want to uproot plants and or mess up the gravel arrangement.

I sit the bucket of new water on top of the hood and then siphon it back in the same way I siphoned the old out. Works a treat and doesn't disturb a thing.

Andy

SuperColey1 said:
Superman said:

I sit the bucket of new water on top of the hood and then siphon it back in the same way I siphoned the old out. Works a treat and doesn't disturb a thing.

Andy

Good idea, might see if that works.

Strangely I've often thought about getting a powerhead or pump of some description but I never thought of using my external filter! Seems obvious now :rolleyes:

At the moment I siphon the water out of the tank into a bucket on the floor then carry it outside and chuck it on the garden. I then fill up the bucket, warm it up with water from the kettle and stand next to the tank holding it while I siphon it back in. I suppose it's good for my biceps....

I hear the Fluval FX5 is designed to allow it to be used for water changes.

Alas my ickle pump at 400lph just isn't strong enough - took over an hour to refill the tank so I'm going to buy an eheim universal pump - hopefully I can then use the hose and pump to water the garden direct from the water butts.

Back