• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water Circulation

Gang@Ukaps

A lack of water circulation can promotes algea - what is the net affect if the circulation is to high if there is any.

Maybe the fish will have to paddle harder.

Regards

paul.

Flyfisherman said:
A lack of water circulation can promotes algea - what is the net affect if the circulation is to high if there is any.

Lack of circulation can promote algae if nutrients and CO2 are not reaching all corners/areas of the tank (this will depend on the plants being used holistically).

As far as I know there is no negative problem with over circulation, depending on your fauna and their abilty to accept fast flowing water, as long as the flora remains rooted!

On a 60ltr tank (gross), I have an internal Eheim aquaball rated at 550lph and a Koralia 1 rated at 1500lph giving me a total flow (or circulation) of 34 x per hour . The Koralia provides excellent low velocity, high flow rate, meaning the fish are not stuck to the glass. The filter on it's own probably just gives me 10 x turnover (net) but this is insuffficient to distribute ferts etc, IME.

Hi,
Too high a velocity can be counterproductive if the flow damages the tissuesor rips the plants from the substrate obviously. One ought not to pummel the plants with flow, but there is not a valid conversion factor between turnover and velocity. So normally the optimal flow is describes as such that the plants sway gently in the current. A 10X tank volume per hour is the general rule of thumb but each tank is unique and higher flow rates often work better, especially as the tank grows in with more plant mass and as the filters become more clogged with dirt.

Cheers,

Back