• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water Condition by Area

Behold

Is this something that could help new enthusiasts to both fish and plant keeping. Things like

PH
Mineral content
Chlorine or Chloramine
General Hardness ETC

By County/water board? or can it be just by water board?

I would have found it useful when starting and even now it could be useful from times.

Things like is a water change hardening or softening my water?
Am i adding Nitrates or reducing it?
Can i let my water air overnight?
Will bogwood make a blind bit of difference to PH as the KH is high?
ETC???

Just a thought?

Hmm, while I agree it would be nice to have a record I think that it would be difficult to keep them up to date. What would be better would be a set of links to the local water authority's page on water parameters... eg for those in the Thames Water area this link allows you to generate a water report for your area.

A lot of the water board's parameters are constantly changing due to agriculture etc and on their sites they only detail the That they are within certain parameters which at our level of use is often nowhere near the accuracy that would be needed to alter our setup if we went by them.

For example Anglian water just says water is hard, no KH value etc. Also as JamesC found out the GH isn't so useful when you don't know how much magnesium or calcium is making the GH.

One useful thing I suppose would be wether each water board uses Chlorine or Chloramines in their water as this is the one that determines which dechlor you should use and if you can just let it gas off. Some dechlors only deal with Chlorine and not Chloramines!!!

Good idea but I never found the water board reports to be very helpful.

AC

I use a dechlor that does both as im not sure.....

Back