• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water evaporation

I think a better alternative to a dehumidifier is installing PIV, something like Naurie drimaster. People are concerned about pushing cold air from the loft space into the house and believing it’s going to make the house cold. They are great and drier air is cheaper to warm up than humid air.

the drimaster is about 18w irc, they do one with a heated element, but I would not really use one.

That’s interesting. We do suffer with damp and are currently using a dehumidifier. We had a Mitsubishi but that failed after about four years so we’re now using a Ruby Dry. Do you use a PIV? I didn’t realise that they were so reasonably priced. Just wondering how effective they really are and how much the installation is going to cost.

Do you use a PIV? I didn’t realise that they were so reasonably priced. Just wondering how effective they really are and how much the installation is going to cost.
My friend had one fitted, as he suffered from severe condensation in his loft each spring and autumn, possibly attributed to damp house. Was fitted by a "condensation consultant" to try and "dry" the house but made no difference as in the end the PIV just provides more house air circulation.

Eventually solved by replacement of double glazing all now with air trickle vents and a Ruby Dry dehumidifier installed in the loft. Eventually all solved when a builder (doing other work) spotted that the tops of the walls, in the loft, were not capped under the gables and in his words and experience the condensation was all due to low loft height (roof angle was very shallow, condensation not seen in steeper roofed properties) and incorrectly capped brickwork. So he sorted it and condensation in loft went away, Ruby Dry was sold and condensation was no longer an issue.

Back on the water evaporation again, has anyone made glass or clear plastic covers for their open topped tanks?

I got tired of evaporation and fitted an ADA glass cover to my standard 30x60 cm tank. The clips were a bit too wide so put a small piece of air tube in between, can't really see it.
The condensation you see is at room temperature of 19 degrees Celsius vs. tank temp of 22. Not that pretty, but it works. It took a bit fine tuning (surface level & movement) but the limnobium is doing fine.

IMG_2722.JPG

That’s interesting. We do suffer with damp and are currently using a dehumidifier. We had a Mitsubishi but that failed after about four years so we’re now using a Ruby Dry. Do you use a PIV? I didn’t realise that they were so reasonably priced. Just wondering how effective they really are and how much the installation is going to cost.

yes they are brilliant, I have one fitted and I would suggest them to anyone who suffers from humidity issues (if it’s not due to a defect) Ian demonstrated a lack of understanding on the subject as that house clearly suffered from a building defect. Google nuaire piv and see how many people say how effective they are.

They are much more effective than a dehumidifier. Just googling it will show you experiences of people who have owned both.

A lot of social housing will install these when tenants complain about damp and condensation issues which is predominantly caused by their lifestyle, fitting the PIV forces fresh air into the house which pushes out the damp humid internal air. Even when the outside humidity is high, when that enters your house and warms up the humidity will reduce.

plus your notice better internal air quality.

Thanks for the help Majsa, really appreciated. The Limnobium looks to be in really great colour. I was just worried my original post was getting a bit lost among the threads about dehumidifiers.

Back