• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water Flow Issues

Kastrat

Seedling
Hi There!

I have a 50x45x37(h) cm 80lt planted tank with a very big driftwood inside. I use an Eheim 2217 (~1.000lt/h theoretically) for filtration and I just very recently added an Eheim Nano filter (~300lt) to avoid any dead spots caused by the wood. My inlet and nano filter are hidden behind the wood and i use a lilly pipe for outlet.

Question is;
because my filter is way too powerful for the tank, my rotalas are having trouble with the flow. I can also use a spin pipe for the outlet however i am concerned that the distribution of CO2 and fertilizers will not be as even because of the huge wood. I am using an external atomizer (Up-aqua D508).

would you go with the spin pipe?

here is a recent picture of the tank.
IMG_3002.jpg

Regards,
Bora

I'd be tempted to try a full length spray bar to diffuse the flow.

I run a five foot tank with two half length spray bars, each of which is powered by a 2000lph canister filter and I've no issues with dead spots or excessive flow.

Thanks for the reply.

would you be using the spray bar at the back of the tank, behind the wood or would you put it on one of the side walls? as you can see the wood is huge and would be blocking the flow if bar is placed behind it.

I usually place them at the back but it might take some experimentation. The wood will definitely influence the flow but it may not be an issue depending how the water moves around it.

The 2217 is quite powerful so even when diffusing the flow I think you'll have a good chance of avoiding dead spots in a tank that size.

Back