• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water meadow gardening

Hi all,
I was looking at some recent pictures of the pond in the middle of my water garden and remembered this old post from a couple of years ago;
Along the edges of the lake where collected some of my plants, I found this marginal, which I quite liked the look of. I planted it a couple of baskets to try out. Does anyone know what it might be? Its pretty vigorous from the look of it.
View attachment 155004 View attachment 155005
At the time, people here were thinking it could be either Fool's Watercress or Lesser Water-parsnip, as both look so similar, eg;

Hi all, It is almost certainly "Fool's Water-cress" (<"Apium ( Helosciadium) nodiflorum">). Have a look at <"Native plant ID">.

You can't entirely discount Lesser Water-parsnip (<"Berula erecta">) from the photo (<"they are very similar">), but I'm pretty sure it is A. nodiflorum.

cheers Darrel

Well, as predicted by @Wolf6 and @mort , the plant has spread considerably and will need reigning in, but looks beautiful in flower. Here are some recent pics of the central pond to share with you.

If anyone is able to ID the plant from the flower, do let me know!

Regards,
Andre
PXL_20230709_162008435.jpg

PXL_20230709_162039814.jpg

PXL_20230709_161909686.jpg

PXL_20230712_131427933.jpg

PXL_20230709_161833470~5.jpg

PXL_20230703_165050616.PANO.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230712_131316078.jpg
    PXL_20230712_131316078.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 73
  • PXL_20230712_131427933.jpg
    PXL_20230712_131427933.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
The carrot family, now officially the Apiaceae, (what sort of name is that?)

Comes from 'Apium' - Parsley and Celery... Apia-ke-ai "Is from the family of Apium"

Apium originates from the "Apis" the 'Bee"

'Api-um' means "Preferred by the Bees" and became a pronoun for some plants.

Hi all,

The carrot family, now officially the Apiaceae, (what sort of name is that?) but formerly the Umbelliferae and always "Umbellifers" to me.

Cheers Darrel
They all have the same flower shape (Umbella - Screen/Shade). Umbelliferae - "Is of the family with Umbella-shaped flowers.
(Umbrella is cognate)

'Umbella' flower also makes more sense to me, I guess somebody got nostalgic here and wanted the first original ancient name back.

Paolo, you are the IT man, I only have a laptop... I think you need a pond!
Get a waterproof case, snorkel and then you can browse UKAPS while watching your fish in the pond! :)

Hi all,
What Marcel (@zozo) says.
'Umbella' flower also makes more sense to me, I guess somebody got nostalgic here and wanted the first original ancient name back.
It is that they renamed all the families with non-standard names so that they were named after their type genus. This meant that the Cruciferae became the "Brassicae" etc.

Cheers Darrel

Hi all,
What Marcel (@zozo) says.

It is that they renamed all the families with non-standard names so that they were named after their type genus. This meant that the Cruciferae became the "Brassicae" etc.

Cheers Darrel

I always find the etymology of the name interesting to get into the head of the botanist that named the plant and to get an idea why it is named like this.

The Crucifer-ae 'Is of the Cross bearing' (Crusiferous Flowers, 4 petals forming a cross).

And Brassica seems to be a Latinization of the alleged Celtic word "Brezi" which means "Cole(slaw)" - 'Cabbage'. Brassic-ae "is of the Coles" (But this linguistic origin is still not certain)

Could it be they are redividing the genus and narrowing it down with name-giving because there are many plants with Cross bearing flowers not from the Cabbage genus?

Hi all,
I always find the etymology of the name interesting to get into the head of the botanist that named the plant and to get an idea why it is named like this.
Could it be they are redividing the genus and narrowing it down with name-giving because there are many plants with Cross bearing flowers not from the Cabbage genus?
There has been some shuffling of names, mainly because DNA has shown that the relationships between plants is <"slightly different from the existing taxonomy">, but many names are still the ones that <"Linnaeus first used">.

For <"plants cladistics"> and DNA have largely confirmed the classification based on floral structure. I'll try and find the exact statement about the name changes

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'll try and find the exact statement about the name changes
This one <"International Code of Botanical Nomenclature">.
18.5. The following names, of long usage, are treated as validly published: Palmae (Arecaceae; type, Areca L.); Gramineae (Poaceae; type, Poa L.); Cruciferae (Brassicaceae; type, Brassica L.); Leguminosae (Fabaceae; type, Faba Mill. [= Vicia L.]); Guttiferae (Clusiaceae; type, Clusia L.); Umbelliferae (Apiaceae; type, Apium L.); Labiatae (Lamiaceae; type, Lamium L.); Compositae (Asteraceae; type, Aster L.). When the Papilionaceae (Fabaceae; type, Faba Mill.) are regarded as a family distinct from the remainder of the Leguminosae, the name Papilionaceae is conserved against Leguminosae.
Where the name has "L." after it it was named by <"Linnaeus">.

cheers Darrel

Back