• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

water meters

John Starkey

Hi all,

did any of you people hear about the energy watchdogs asking the goverment and the waterboards to make them compulsary in every home,
bad news for people with large setups,

regards john.

john starkey said:
Hi all,

did any of you people hear about the energy watchdogs asking the goverment and the waterboards to make them compulsary in every home,
bad news for people with large setups,

regards john.

I have (or did have) at one time a 180l, 60l and a 15l. All got 50% water changes per week (nano got 2 a week) and my Mum said she didnt notice much difference in the water bill, and in fact we are saving money from our last house.

She is a childminder so lots of kids leaving taps on too :lol: :rolleyes:

I suppose if you have a 450l like yourself it may make a slight difference though

Back home in Portugal everyone has a water meter in their houses, just in the UK that I don't see this happening.
I lived in the country side over there and had our own well as did most other people though. But in cities there is no escaping paying for the water bill.
A lot of people back home with large marine tanks, actually fetch the water from the sea for water changes.

I don't see a problem, if you bear in mind, when brushing teeth do you leave your tap running?

Quote from a site (and similar postings on others):

"Switch off while you brush. As a default, most of us leave the tap running while we brush our teeth until we’ve finished the final swill. It’s time to break that habit and save up to 5 litres a minute to boot".

If there is three in a family that brush teeth twice a day at a minute a time, by switching off the tap during brushing, one could save over 6 gallons a day or more than 42 gallons (210 ltrs) a week.

So much water is wasted, it's easy to save that water for more important things like aquarium water changes.

I'm on a meter, but I still only pay £14 a month for my water. It costs 50p for one cubic meter of tap water (1000lt) which I am then also charges £1 for disposal/treatment, so that's £1.50 per 1000lt, barely even notice the different, and I've been using Ro on my 250lt for the last few months! :wideyed:

Just think how much water a bath uses, even my 4ft is nothing compared to a bath full of water.

Sam

Sam I agree,

The actual cost of water is lminimal in comparison to the standing and drainage charges. My water supply charge is less than 25% of the actual bill and I'm not the most eco-friendly person on the planet.

I suppose it's a bit like BT land-line charges, although I hardly use the phone I still have to pay them a princely sum for the privelege of having the facility.

Back