• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water parameters problem

Hi @rca.myworld

I think you'll find other members here on UKAPS who use Tropica Aquarium Soil Powder . They'll be able to give you the benefit of their knowledge and experience.

JPC

Hi @rca.myworld

If you are using Tropica Aquarium Soil Powder, I think you'll find that it releases ammonia into the water for a few weeks, which wouldn't be good for any livestock. Please note the advice given on Tropica's website:

"Aquarium Soil Powder ensures good and active growth from the beginning, and boosts the red plant shades. It is a complete bottom layer, which can be used without any other types of bottom layer. Aquarium Soil Powder is further an active bottom layer that lowers the pH value and slightly affects the water chemistry. We recommend that you change 25-50% of the water min. twice a week during the first 4 weeks after establishing the aquarium".

You should have been advised of this when you made your purchases.

JPC

Thanks for clearing all that :)
See it's good people like you and the community which makes life a lot easier :)
I somehow been very lucky with the small aquazone aquarium which I brought in end of May and that's why rushed things with new one.

As for Tropica, I think I bought it online so no advice is given. However after purchase I researched it and ran the aquarium without a fish for 2-2.5 weeks. I did recycle filter and water from old aquarium. P@H give it A-OK when I visited them so I first put my big plattys from old aquarium and after 3 days put tetras and guppies in there (In hindsight I should have waited for 2 weeks before adding tetras and guppies)
I am ordering NT labs kit tomorrow.

Cheers

I didn’t really notice any Ammonia spike when using Tropica Soil powder but then again the tank was running on a fully mature filter. I use JBL 6in1 test strips to keep an eye on things, I don’t care for absolute accuracy I just want the ballpark figures. A Nitrite indication would ring alarm bells for me to test more seriously for Ammonia with Titration testing, 0.5 Nitrite is at the limit for detectability on most test strips where there is also the possibility that dye from a strong positive Nitrate test has bled into the Nitrite patch and slightly discoloured it giving a positive reading, a positive Ammonia reading would indicate the Nitrite test result is likely near accurate.

If the P@H employee performing the test and selling you stuff saw a Nitrite reading on that dip strip test (which you continually keep seeing when you test) and then didn’t go on to perform an Ammonia test and then told you the tank was safe to put critters in, Muppets!

Many more plants added to the tank (or a surface floating plant like duckweed) will help to remedy the continual ammonia production giving the filter time to get up to speed.

:)

Back