• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water softener

GDM

Good morning,

I'm looking at setting up (another) discussion tank in my new place. I have a whole home filtration set up, that includes a non - salt softener, will I need to bypass this?

Filtration: Osmio PRO-III Ultimate Whole House Water Filter System

Softener:

Many thanks
Garry

So it's a three stage filter system with the first stage containing an "active ceramics" filter that "... adds antioxidants and minerals back into the water after filtering and additionally makes water more alkaline by raising the pH value, usually increasing the pH to around 0.5 a point or more (however this could be more or less depending on a number of specific variables including the presence of certain dissolved solids and gases)." I have never heard of "active ceramics" before nor do I really care to dive into what their "patented active ceramics blend, so it has 4 different active ceramics" actually contains but I'll speculate it sounds like some zeolite blend. The second and third stages are a normal carbon block and a GAC / KDF catrtridge which are both beneficial for aquarium (and drinking) water.

If I was setting up a mid- to hard-water tank then I would probably use the water coming out of that system. If I was setting up a soft-water tank then I would either bypass that first stage and make use of the second and third stage filters alone, or I would not use the system altogether.

Strange it says not for limescale. We have a single Brita filter under sink unit that we use for the kettle and our food steamer and we haven’t had any limescale buildup at all so far.

So it's a three stage filter system with the first stage containing an "active ceramics" filter that "... adds antioxidants and minerals back into the water after filtering and additionally makes water more alkaline by raising the pH value, usually increasing the pH to around 0.5 a point or more (however this could be more or less depending on a number of specific variables including the presence of certain dissolved solids and gases)." I have never heard of "active ceramics" before nor do I really care to dive into what their "patented active ceramics blend, so it has 4 different active ceramics" actually contains but I'll speculate it sounds like some zeolite blend. The second and third stages are a normal carbon block and a GAC / KDF catrtridge which are both beneficial for aquarium (and drinking) water.

If I was setting up a mid- to hard-water tank then I would probably use the water coming out of that system. If I was setting up a soft-water tank then I would either bypass that first stage and make use of the second and third stage filters alone, or I would not use the system altogether.
Thanks for the feedback Marty. You haven't mentioned the softener, just the three stage. The filter and softener are currently plumbed in line.

General recommendation is to always bypass a water softener regardless of what type it is but there are exceptions depending on what sort of aquarium you are setting up. With salt-based water softeners, the concern is excess sodium; with non salt-based softeners, the calcium and magnesium hasn't actually been removed from the water but rather just altered chemically to hopefully prevent scale build up, so you still technically have hard water.

Back