• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water storage in shed causing mould issues

DaveWatkin

Will be hitting up some DIY resources but figured due to the nature of the problem and the variety of dayjobs we all have, someone on here might have some helpful advice.

I built myself a lovely shed last year and I keep a barrel of water in there for pre treatment before water changes and it is heated. It isn't sealed, just covered with a towel and this has resulted in a lot of condensation over the winter leading to mould.

I plan on removing everything from the shed in the coming weeks, removing all the mould and then painting the timber (currently bare framing, cladding and chipboard) and I might line the walls/roof with the thin insulation foil. I also plan on making the installation a little more permanent by putting sealed entries into the barrels correct lid so it can be fitted with the wires/pipes going in and only removed for inspection/deep cleaning. I think this should prevent most of the issues from reoccurring but is there anything else I can do ventilation wise? The shed is currently pretty well sealed, especially in the ceiling area.

Thanks

D

At the moment no as there are cables and hoses in and out (heater and a cannister filter running in it). I plan on getting some cable glands and bulkhead connectors fitted to the lid to make it sealable going forward.

shed is currently pretty well sealed
Maybe the shed needs better ventilation, was chatting with a survey recently and he pointed out that many mould issues in homes is due to poor ventilation as folk don't open windows enough and let the rooms breath

When all the grants for wall and loft insulation came it was a mistake many made cramping insulation into the eaves then homeowners would complain about black mould above bedroom windows. Evertthing has to breathe Something to consider when insulating for instance a fish house were condensation and electrics are a problem

Passive dehumidifiers can help:

1615890698417.jpeg

It can seem like it will make a spit in the ocean of difference, but found they are actually effective during the winter if you remember to change the blocks every month or two. Hang onions and garlic in the shed over winter so mould is a big no no.

If your shed has windows it helps if they let some continuous airflow through i.e. using poor sealing to your advantage. It allows the air temp/relative humidity to match outside, lessens condensation on the inside of the structure.

I was assuming ventilation would be required. Is there any particular places it should be? I am thinking the eaves but do I need low level as well?

I was assuming ventilation would be required. Is there any particular places it should be? I am thinking the eaves but do I need low level as well?
One high, and one low, in opposite corners, as long as there's a through draught, i.e. no good putting a vent where there's a hedge or fence against it on the outside.
Doesn't have to be big either, you can buy some nice louvre vents from Screwfix etc, then start with small(ish) holes, making the holes slightly bigger until the issue is sorted.

Last edited:
Years and years ago (late 80's) my mate used to kept all the filtration and water processing for his marine tank in a shed against his house. This is when marine tanks, at home, were quite "new thing". Used central heating pumps with plastic attachments to circulate water. Yes the shed was insulated, Kingspan stuffed between the studs, insulated floor and roof.

Condensation was an issue, mainly in autumn and spring I seem to remember. So, had humidity triggered fans in roof, cheap ones are no good as need to be temperature compensated or else run continuously in the winter. Also had a heater to prevent frost and a dehumidifier for use in summer. He kept his RO water in a butt outside the shed, which yes did freeze in the winter, but had an aquarium heater in it to thaw it when needed. Can't remember much more, but was all learned from members of a "fish club" as the Internet (public bit at least) didn't exist in those days, as well reading books from a library (remember those).

The open water is your main issue here, once you have that sealed you’ve addressed it really.

Insulating the shed itself serves no purpose for the current problem, in fact you may make it worse. Some standard type vents would help keep the moisture in check if you can’t get a proper seal on your water though, or had ongoing damp issues.

The open water is your main issue here, once you have that sealed you’ve addressed it really.

Yes but no seal is 100% unless your using a pressure vessel with an expansion chamber, one I used at work worked well but limited capacity
1615917414776.png

the tub will need some sort of vent and if shed isn't ventilated condensation will happen seasonally which leads to mould in shed and spores will get in tank though vent, with a better lid it may be reduced.

Back