• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Watering garden vegetables with old tank water...

TLH

I saved the 90 odd litres of water from my last water change and weve been using it to water the vegetable patch this last week. I've used it for house plants before and they look a bit perkier, esecially the ones that need their compost changing. I don't forsee any problem but is there any danger in this assuming that we are going to consume the veg?

Aquarium water that has been fortified with nutrients is THE best possible thing for any of your terrestrial plants whether that be house or garden. As Sam point's out, don't farmers use pig and cow manure for ferts? It is the role of plants to recycle waste in the environment. This is one of the special miracles of life, otherwise we would be swimming in our own waste... :idea:

Worry more about synthetic food products, unripe vegetables at the supermarket, loss of bio-diversity in crops and hormone injected livestock. :wideyed:

Cheers,

What about diseases from fish though? I don't have many fish yet but I will be getting some soon I hope when I see something I like.

Fish diseases don't live on land and even if they do there aren't many aquarium diseases that are transmissible through terrestrial plants to humans, at least no more so than fish that you buy at the supermarket and eat directly. I mean, if you don't catch Ich or Velvet from sticking you hand in the tank all the time and making direct contact with the pathogens in their environment then there is even less likelihood that you will catch it from eating a tomato.

Cheers,

All the insect and teeny creature poo is in the soil anyhow, so I'd not be worried - all the nutrients in the tank water will be excellent for any plant :)

i had this dilema at the weekend, i would normally do it, but i have been adding easycarbo to the tank lately, isnt this dangerous to consume?

AdAndrews said:
i had this dilema at the weekend, i would normally do it, but i have been adding easycarbo to the tank lately, isnt this dangerous to consume?

yes it is, although it only stays in the water for 24hrs, however i wouldnt risk it unless you are sure you havent added any for at least 48hrs IMO.

I use my tank water for houseplants including orchids never any problems even added houseplant fertilizer at times

Back