• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Weather forecast?

Oh crikey, remember those days? I grew up in Nottinghamshire with more than its fair share of mining communities and coal fires. One bonfire night there was a temperature inversion, which along with the combination of coal fires, bonfires, fireworks and the Trent basin's unique topography gave rise to a really thick pea souper, you literally couldn't see your hand in front of your face. I don't miss that one bit, but I think wood burners are okay if the wood is dried below 20% moisture content.

....and while I'm here and having a good whinge on this depressing horizontal rain day. Here's something that is going to be controversial as most of you probably have one. Wood burners, there I've said it. Being old enough to remember the coal fire days and black facades of houses coming from a mining town, wood burners really? Is that where we are now then. We've spent decades moving away from air pollution to the point where in the not so distant future fossil fuel cars are going to be a thing of the past and now is a good time to make wood burners cool!
On the very rare occasion that I actually do get up to a fresh, crisp, feel good wintery morning without rain there's yet again that dejavu 70's smell of people burning stuff. Why now when we've actually acknowledged how polluted our atmosphere is? I shudder to think what it was back then! Huge step in the wrong direction IMO.

Haha! I like them but my partner says the same. All she can remember about the fire as a kid is having to clean the smelly fireplace out!

but I think wood burners are okay if the wood is dried below 20% moisture content.
You're assuming that these wood burners are in the hands of responsible people mate which is a bit optimistic IMO. I would imagine anything that will burn is going in half of them.
All she can remember about the fire as a kid is having to clean the smelly fire out!
Your partner has hit the nail on the head, we've moved on. Times are changing as the price of electricity is coming down and getting cleaner, modern new build home are now looking at electric central heating systems to move away from gas and for some reason someone thought it would be a good idea to have a fire going on in the house and emptying old ash out like back in the day and all the hassle that comes with that. Won't be long before we have black bins again with "no hot ashes on" :D

If anyone feels the need to be staring into an open fire to fulfil some primeval caveman instinct I can highly recommend fireplace videos on Netflix in 4K. Far less polluting and no ashes to throw out.

You're assuming that these wood burners are in the hands of responsible people mate which is a bit optimistic IMO. I would imagine anything that will burn is going in half of them.
Yeah, you're right of course. But I think tougher government legislation is on it's way. Which will mean wood burner fuel prices will go up, and folk will possibly think twice before installing one.

wood burners are okay

6a00e0099229e888330120a7bc75ef970b-500wi.jpg

6a00e0099229e888330120a7bf9801970b-500wi.jpg

6a00e0099229e888330120a7b3153a970b-500wi.jpg

6a00e0099229e888330120a7af0fbc970b-500wi.jpg

6a00e0099229e888330120a7ad7682970b-500wi.jpg

6a00e0099229e888330120a7bc0a61970b-500wi.jpg

And no, that's not a mobile beer brewery...

Yeah, your right of course. I think government legislation is on it's way. Which will mean that wood burner fuel prices will go up,
And like most government legislation it won't be worth the paper it's written on. I can't honestly see how they could police it Tim there's so many about unless they're going to put people on your roof to see what's coming out the chimney. The fuel most of these wood burners are using based on my experience of working on building sites is whatever scraps are kicking about. There's always someone on there putting them into bags to take home for their burner so putting fuel prices up will only have people looking for cheaper sources. The thing is though, fundamentally I don't really want people paying more to be able to pollute, I'd rather just not have the polluting! That's the global approach we've been using and that aint working because people/countries would rather just pay it.

6a00e0099229e888330120a7bc75ef970b-500wi.jpg

6a00e0099229e888330120a7bf9801970b-500wi.jpg

6a00e0099229e888330120a7b3153a970b-500wi.jpg

6a00e0099229e888330120a7af0fbc970b-500wi.jpg

6a00e0099229e888330120a7ad7682970b-500wi.jpg

6a00e0099229e888330120a7bc0a61970b-500wi.jpg

And no, that's not a mobile beer brewery...
Haha, we know that's really the deep south of the US; mobile moonshine stills trying to avoid the authorities...
Like Breaking Bad and the mobile meth lab.

Haha, we know that's really the deep south of the US; mobile moonshine stills trying to avoid the authorities...
Like Breaking Bad and the mobile meth lab.
The best series ever made I think.

Have you seen the follow up, Better Call Saul? That’s really good.

Haven’t seen Sopranos though, think that’s on sky and me ration book won’t stretch 😂

Last edited:
Anyone who cuts a tree down now tries to sell it on fb shop
I’m sure moist people don’t stack it up snd let it dry before burning it

I think wood fires are seen as a green thing, wood as an eco fuel
Wrong in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think wood fires are seen as a green thing, wood as an eco fuel
Wrong in my opinion
It wouldn't be as bad if the wood burner was hooked up to a hot water cylinder and running the central heating system but that is very rarely the case. My issue is more to do with air pollution than anything especially knowing what we know now. Just no need for folk to be burning stuff.

Back