• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Week aqua users

So what is the state of play with the app - is it that it is completely non-functioning, and you can't create a reliable ramp on/off, and automatically reproduce the adjusted colour mix on a daily basis, or is it just that the app is badly written and difficult to use?

I received the light today. Will play with it and report back on my experience.

Think I know what's going to happen here:

ari-gold-entourage.gif

I'm scared to touch mine again after I randomly got it to work somewhere near what I wanted.
I have 2 z400 and have them come on from 12:30 till 19:30. I can't tell what percentages it's giving out or the colour spectrum. I know it has approx 30 mins dimmer, then jumps up brightness for another 60, then jumps to what I assume is 100% for 4 hours till it starts with the ramp down again. I have no idea why it does it as I've never set anything like that. In a ideal world it wouldn't blast at 100%, just no need for it, but as I said I'm not touching it as at least it's working to a acceptable level.

Well here is my say on the app. It is definitely funky but I didn't have any issues in setting up all channels. It does need some serious rework though. What is weird is that it's all very messy. Some things seem to work others don't. Now it's a matter of waiting to see if settings stick and they don't disappear as mentioned by Garuf.

One comment on the hardware though, the power supply is rather on the light side. This is concerning to me. Quality bricks usually are fairly heavy. I remember Chihiros going down the el cheapo power supply route then regretting it and supplying better quality GVE power supplies later.

Last edited:
I'm posting this for the posterity. This is what I wrote to Week Aqua 2 days ago. Some of their answers are beyond me but I'll keep that for a later post:

1- In device list we always have to click on "apply" each time we enter the app. No reason why the user would need to do that each time.

2- Welcome screen. Why is there 4 modes (B2.0 Primary, B2.0 Advanced Freshwater, B1.0 Early, B2.0 Advanced marine)? This is so confusing. There is a text with 'Note' which I more-less understand. I will only give my comments for both B2.0 Primary and B2.0 Advanced Freshwater:

-B2.0 Primary:
> Why do we have spectrum picture but not in B2.0 Advanced?
Why do have sunrise/sunset but not in B2.0 Advanced?
E-Ocean selections (Coral and Ocean Fish) not working. When we click on them we cannot see any change in color spectrum. Bug.
timer setting 'switch' (on/off) seems to migrate from one mode (B2.0 Primary to B2.0 B2.0 Advanced). This should not happen since these two modes are supposed to be independent. Bug.

-B2.0 Advanced Freshwater:
> RGB settings/spectrum reset to 0 for no reason in the app randomly. This is a MAJOR bug and needs urgent fixing.
What is the purpose of the 'W' sliders? Is that wattage? White? In any case it doesn't do anything when sliding it from 0% to 100%. Very confusing. Bug.
Time programming switch (on/off) sometimes works sometimes doesn't. Bug.
Time programming (start/end). When clicking to adjust time both start and end present the same time although user has set different times. Bug.
Why are we not allowed to bring all colors (RGB) to 100%? This is very awkward and confusing to user. I understand the light is limited to 130 watts but the way the app translates that in the UI is confusing.
Sliders (RGB-UV) sometimes just don't stick to the % the user sets them to. Bug.
Why would the user need to adjust Cooling? My opinion is that this should not be allowed and the software should handle this in the background dynamically since cooling is dependent on heat and LED use so allowing users to tweak this is allowing the LED to get damaged/age prematurely due to overheating. Very BAD idea.

3. I didn't bother trying B1.0 Early and B2.0 Advanced marine since I don't have reef tanks. But I assume B2.0 Advanced marine is not meant to be used with the A430 Pro but for other lights. If that's the case then why is this mode even shown to users when using lights that are not supported? This should not happen.

4. When setting up the light why is the user asked to chose between 24v or 36v. This should not require user input and should be detected automatically by the app depending on the light that is being registered in the app.

When I give my money to a company that is making profit I expect the product to do what it is expected to do. If it doesn't, all those that know me well, know that I am like a pit-bull and I will not let go until I get what I want even if that takes months or years. Many times over people are just too lax and let things be and that's the reason why some companies "get away with murder" but I consider that since they got what they wanted (money), so should I (a working product). Simple logic.

I'm posting this for the posterity. This is what I wrote to Week Aqua 2 days ago. Some of their answers are beyond me but I'll keep that for a later post:

When you say:

Sliders (RGB-UV) sometimes just don't stick to the % the user sets them to. Bug.

Does that mean the next day when the light switches on, the colour mix settings you entered the day before aren’t applied? Or is it just when you reopen the app?

Similarly with the sunrise and sunset timings, do they ‘stick’ or not?

Does that mean the next day when the light switches on, the colour mix settings you entered the day before aren’t applied? Or is it just when you reopen the app?
No. I should have made that clearer. What I mean is that when you move the slider sometimes it just doesn't stay where you leave it and it comes back to its original position or some intermediate position but not where your finger left the screen. You also have the - and + buttons which allow you to tweak % more easily so at least you have that. Once you set all sliders to the desired % and save, all settings are saved normally and from there on the light replicates the settings each day normally.

Similarly with the sunrise and sunset timings, do they ‘stick’ or not?
The Sunrise/Sunset setting per say is only available in the B2.0 Primary mode. It's kind of an easy/simplified mode for those who don't wish to fine tune spectrum (B2.0 Advance Freshwater mode). I didn't try the sunrise/sunset mode because of what I read right and left and didn't want to waste time with that. Most people say it doesn't work as it should. I also didn't have sunrise/sunset on my previous light so I am not bothered by it.
In the B2.0 Advance Freshwater mode you don't have a sunrise/sunset mode. Instead you have some sort of 'Time Programming" feature which allows you to set time intervals with specific power % (10% increments) and also different spectrum for each configured timeframe. This can account as a sunrise/sunset feature but in my opinion poorly implemented. I also didn't bother setting multiple timeframes and instead simply set only 1 with my complete photo period (10am-6pm).

Once everything is set as you want and close the app, normally there is no issue and all settings will apply as you set them. The issue arises when you reopen the app, settings may reset to 0. I say may because it's really random. I opened the app multiple times and all settings were there. Then I opened it later and all was gone. It happened multiple times.

I have talked with 2 guys who have serious experience with the Week Aqua app. One has 10 units the other 3 and all are operating normally for over a year. But here is what you basically need to know:
1. When you configure your settings, do them in one go, save and close. And let it be.
2. If you make mistakes or want to change something later in the settings, then reset all to 0 and reconfigure all. This is because if you simply edit settings there are high chances it will screw up. I have experienced this and can tell you that the resetting all to 0 works and starting over is the best solution.

Hope that helps.

Agreed. The sunrise is useless. It’s just 4 big jumps rather than a smooth ramp.

If I had the option I would rather use a third party timer a la twinstar, I find those remarkably reliable over all also I don’t need to use an app and that is nice.

No. I should have made that clearer. What I mean is that when you move the slider sometimes it just doesn't stay where you leave it and it comes back to its original position or some intermediate position but not where your finger left the screen. You also have the - and + buttons which allow you to tweak % more easily so at least you have that. Once you set all sliders to the desired % and save, all settings are saved normally and from there on the light replicates the settings each day normally.

The Sunrise/Sunset setting per say is only available in the B2.0 Primary mode. It's kind of an easy/simplified mode for those who don't wish to fine tune spectrum (B2.0 Advance Freshwater mode). I didn't try the sunrise/sunset mode because of what I read right and left and didn't want to waste time with that. Most people say it doesn't work as it should. I also didn't have sunrise/sunset on my previous light so I am not bothered by it.
In the B2.0 Advance Freshwater mode you don't have a sunrise/sunset mode. Instead you have some sort of 'Time Programming" feature which allows you to set time intervals with specific power % (10% increments) and also different spectrum for each configured timeframe. This can account as a sunrise/sunset feature but in my opinion poorly implemented. I also didn't bother setting multiple timeframes and instead simply set only 1 with my complete photo period (10am-6pm).

Once everything is set as you want and close the app, normally there is no issue and all settings will apply as you set them. The issue arises when you reopen the app, settings may reset to 0. I say may because it's really random. I opened the app multiple times and all settings were there. Then I opened it later and all was gone. It happened multiple times.

I have talked with 2 guys who have serious experience with the Week Aqua app. One has 10 units the other 3 and all are operating normally for over a year. But here is what you basically need to know:
1. When you configure your settings, do them in one go, save and close. And let it be.
2. If you make mistakes or want to change something later in the settings, then reset all to 0 and reconfigure all. This is because if you simply edit settings there are high chances it will screw up. I have experienced this and can tell you that the resetting all to 0 works and starting over is the best solution.

Hope that helps.

It does help, thanks. It's enough to convince me to give them a go, so I've just order three of their T90 Pro RGB+UV lights to try out.

How much of an influence on the colour rendition does the UV element have? I know technically humans can't see the UV section of the light spectrum, but I wondered if there was some over spill into the visible spectrum when turning those LED's on?

Back