• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Weeping moss

zig

Just wondering if anyone is growing this moss, I bought this moss a couple of weeks ago and am not sure how this moss is doing for me, some of it seems to be browning, I had heard this moss can be troublesome for some where it goes brown and completely dies off, has anybody experienced this? Am I about to experience this!! Probably a bit early to tell the eventual outcome here maybe it just needs a transition period but not much happening in the way of growth either. I have it in a CO2 injected, highlight, unheated tank atm.

Thanks

It may take a little while for the moss to start really growing... When the moss has rooted itself, you should see a lot more signs of new growth... If only a few strands are brown or browning, then I would remove them.

I have also just got this moss. Did you attach it so that there was only one layer without the moss from overlapping? This causes the moss underneath to die as it doesn't receive any light or water flow. It is a great moss though.

Well actually I didnt tie it onto anything, I just threw it into a tank placed between a crack in a rock, maybe I will try tie it down, there seems to be tiny buds beginning to grow, just noticed this today, but definitely some sections are dying off as well.

I had read some time ago that in some peoples tanks it completely dies off for no known reason and in others it just does not take at all, I will cut off the bad areas and hope for the best. Im just trying to grow it out for a future project, the small amount you get from Aquaticmagic won't get you very far in a new scape.

George Farmer said:
Any updates on this moss, Peter. I've always fancied trying it, I love its appearance.

This worked out ok eventually George, it survived after the initial browning, I have to say though its a very slow growing moss.

I bought the moss with the intention of using it in a scape down the line so was just going to grow some out in the meantime, I bought it from Aquaticmagic and I have to say the amount I received was small for what I paid, but I guess it is a slow grower, I would say I received about 1 1/2 sq inches of moss if layed out flat in the palm of your hand, so I was a little disappointed with that.

My advice would be to buy some well in advance of any future scape and let it grow out for months beforehand, unless of course you can source a decent amount initially, but even now 2 months after the moss has been in a well fertilised tank with 5+WPG I still don't have very much, I probably just about have enough to include in a new scape but might have to grow it out further.

Its a nice moss though, not prone to algae at all unlike Java moss, it stays very clean and tidy.

Hi all, interesting thread.

I bought some willow moss about 2 months ago from The Last Trading Post on eBay. I didn't get very much at all, but it was quite healthy. I tied it down to some bogwood, and hoped for the best.

Unfortunately it all broke up, and dissappeared all over the tank, and I gave up. However, a week or two ago, I found about 3 very healthy clumps of it, hiding underneath some of my other plants! It had taken a while to recover, but did come back! I re-tied these, and have had some browning, again, but I suspect once they settle, they will be OK.

They don't attach too well, so have to be tied on permanently, and it grows slowly which can also cause problems. Hair algae is a problem for me at the moment, but I'm hoping that switching to EI will help address this issue, and the moss will spring back into life in no time. I think it is quite sensitive to being moved around a lot, so the moral of the story is to be patient, and keep it in one place...in my opinion anyway!

Ive just recently got some weeping moss from Greenline, and its actually growing best in my 2lt vase cube which doesn't get any artificial light, only that which comes through the window in the morning. It did take a while to start growing but the new, light green buds appeared after a few weeks and then its been pretty steady since.

Sam

Back