• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Weight of a large tank upstairs?

lowee

I am looking into getting a large tank, around 300l (250-300kg) but am unsure on whether the floor upstairs will take the weight. It is quite a large tank, 2 1/2ft wide, so the weight will be spread quite well. Just wondering if anyone has any structural knowledge about what kind of load the floor would take?

Thanks
Tom

I have a 6x2x1.5 foot tank (6mm glass) and if you had seen some of the places I have had it you would probably freak out. When I have had it on floor boards I try to even the weight out over 3 4x2 inch beams. I always have a layer of foam under the tank to absorb the uneveness.

Good luck!

I've read articles that say you should determine the direction of the joists in the room (usually right angles to floor boards?) and then position the tank so that it lies across more than one joist to spread the weight rather than length ways along a single joist.

Have you tried asking advice at monsterfishkeepers?

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/

I would also imagine that a tank of capacity 300l would weigh more than 300kg when filled when you include the weight of the tank and equipment.

Back