• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Welcome :) Tell us about yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, Im Steve live near Southampton and I thought id introduce myself, im currently setting up a 30" tank I have built it into a wall, found the forum whilst researching and have found some great helpfull info, so thought id join to say thanks.

Hello again,

thought i'd better let you know what has been let loose on your forum!

I live in Ely, (16 miles to Cambridge, 25 to P'boro), and work at a theatre/gig venue doing mainly boring admin, but also a bit of stewarding when I get to see the shows. Its quite funny seeing whats in various celebs riders though! :lol: :lol: Fun and games.
I only caught MTS after being bought a biorb in November. That is happy with anubias, mosses and ferns, all you can grow in those really. Bought a cheapo 2 ft tank from Aldi at christmas, this has swords, java fern, java moss, limnobium spongia, c. blassii, and some nice bits of wood. Really enjoyed the planted element of these so decided to move onto bigger things after buying a 4ft tank, cabinet + luminere for £40 on fleabay. Journal: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10620 . Enjoy the fish side of things, but my apple snails are my pride and joy.

I think the reason for this hobby blooming so rapidly since only november is because i've been off work with a bad back and ops etc due to a car accident, somewhat house bound, but also meant lots of window shopping at various local and regional lfs. I have had to rely on my wonderful OH to do the larger water changes etc, he has been a godsend. He is not terribly keen, but understands cycling, and co2 etc now. I tinker with tanks, he is glued to Call of duty. Yes, I am a COD/PS3 widow. Keeps him quiet.

Also love and brew real ale, and just passed my bike test, so hopefully getting an sv650, or street triple R, although haven't decided, depends on payout from car accident. This could mean I could go wild on aquascaping equipment too, but must not think about that as it is very dangerous!!!!!! My dad builds and races classic bikes, so we go to track days/weekends, BSB, autojumbles etc, and he has bought a campervan- so with the bike trailer, we can go touring round europe! Fun fun fun. I enjoy photography, but have not got the hang of taking good pics of the tanks yet.

Well thanks again to all the fantastic information and advice on here, it has been really really helpful. See you around. Must go and stop my apple snails having an orgy. What are they like! :wideyed: :wideyed: :wideyed: :wideyed:

Hi

10 years ago I tried my hand at keeping a planted discus tank with co2 and a ph controller. I was aware of Takashi Amano and inspired by the few tanks of his I'd seen in pictures. Well that tank wore me down, constantly changing water, making new R/O water, dealing with algae....

It's time to try again and this time I've found this excellent forum. I live with my other half in Swindon o_O and we run a small business together looking after dogs, cats and rabbits. I may have to get my fish textbooks back out of storage but this time round I'm going to concentrate on plants.

I'll start a journal I think when I get things sorted.

My other hobby is photography although I've never photographed tanks. you can see more at my photoblog - the links below

Hello everyone,

I have been on the forum for about a year now and have'nt intoduced myself yet :lol:

My name is Krish Patel, I am 14 years old and I live in a small town in the west midlands called Wednsbury.
I have been keeping fish since I was 7-8 years old because of my gradefather who inspired me of his fishkeeping stories. I have breen many fish over the years. I am kinda a Betta Expert (so if you need help with them ask me :lol:). I got into aquascaping from Practical Fishkeeping and was inspred by George Farmers Planted Tank Steps. I might have got the name wrong. Thank you everyone who has helped me over the last year.

Hi everyone,

I've just had my eyes opened to the world of planted tanks and have to say I'm really impressed with some that I have seen so far !

I'm not new to fish keeping, I kept trops for years before moving to marine, unfortunately saving for a wedding, I had to sell my tank. Now the wedding is just over a week away I've started to think about a tank again.

I run a forum myself and one of my members has been talking about a planted and recommended I come here for a bit of help and advice :D

I was going to set a marine tank up again, but I'm thinking more and more about a planted tank, my only problem is I've never really done much with plants so I'm a bit of a novice in that respect.

Going to be having a look through the forums to see if i can pick up some knowledge, im getting the new tank excitement back so it must be a good sign :D

Look forward to getting to know you all and hopefully with your help getting my next project of the ground

Regards

Shawn

I don't know if I'd be alone in this but personally I would rather not get married than have to rid a tank. You've come to the right place, our tutorials were written by some of the best in the hobby.

It wasn't the easiest of decisions, id just got it looking something like I wanted it ! (The picture below is the last I took of it)

14a7829102771f.jpg

Never mind, im really looking forward to getting stuck into this now, the wedding will soon be over (that sounds so wrong, but you know what i mean) and i can get my teeth into it :D

Welcome Ocean-Wonders!

I used to keep marines myself before turning to the dark side ;)
510mortlock1.jpg

Plenty of knowledge and good advice on here.... I would recommend you check out the UKAPS articles as a good starter...

hi I have been keeping fish for around a couple of years now and am up to a rio 400, but only been keeping plants for up to a year. I have always been interested in aquascaping and have given myself the challenge of trying to plant my rio 400 using limited resources but a huge space to fill. Also the problem that I have T8's in a deep tank as well as taking into consideration my plecs and shrimp.

Currently experimenting with a diy c02 setup not running in my tank but just got the airstone in a glass of water to see if it is working and have recorded the recipe and start date and just keeping an eye for the moment as my last attempt was only half successful as the container was too small for the mixture.

I haven't been using easy carbo or any other c02 supplement since keeping plants but the plants have been minimal. I do use king british plant food even though a lot of people tell me to use something better but it is ok at the moment as it is cheap.

Did have a small problem with bba but have that under control but other algae is minimal.

Have came to this forum to get some tips and inspiration without breaking my bank balance.

Hey ,

Glad to be a part of this forum. My name's Andrew from Malaysia and I am also a frantic aquascaper ( and shrimper ) and am glad to meet all of you here! Some of you might already know me from this ID name since I'm from MAC (and APC) as well

Cheers!

Hello to all!! :D
Howdo? My name is Stephen and i live in somerset! Found this forum the other day. Very good place information on a good range of topics! ( Some for my spelling, i am dis-lick-it) :lol: :lol:
I Have been kept fish for 20 years on and off!! Done the arrowna( just a silver, i am not that rich), stingray and list and list of oddballs, l-numbers and all sorts thing but am well in to my plants now!!!
I have just one rio 180 at the moment, but have had more tanks than i can count (i have a good mate, who was head of a MA, so i get alot of fish tanks,equitment and other stuff for trade/presents) I have a spare aqua one 150 watt metal hadile penedalum lamp which i do not use, i am just using the normal T8 light bar, but many upgrade to a T5 soon.
My mate is moving to OZ soon, so i will have to get my order soon :lol: :lol:
I got my mate in to fish and he is a real star.
I use a JBL proflora 2 CO2, and a external filter.
I have 10 Ammona shrimp, 10 Coral pencilfish + 5 three lined pencilfish( Only had this two days)
Love you all and love this forum( You complete me) :thumbup:

greetings peeps, my name is Roy and I live in gloucestershire, been keeping fish for 40 years plus on and off. Coming back after a 3 year lay off and just awaiting delivery of a new 330ltr tank. This will be the smallest ever tank Ive owned and this time Im going for a natural planted tank, following your good advice on here. I will amass the rest of my new equipement over the next few weeks and hope to start setting up after my holiday, oh and redecorating the lounge :crazy:

never really had any disasters, except when all glass tanks were the new kid on the block and the botton of mine parted company with the rest.....still wife got new carpet etc...so she was ok.

anyone in my area wants a fishy buddy (could have phrased that better)or a chat, get in touch

love the site, keep up the good work...and expect plenty of questions regarding new ideas

Hi All,

I have been in the aquarium hobby for over 40 years and two years ago decided to restart my 45 gallon tall (24” tall) after a 10 year sabbatical. I was intrigued by what was happening in the area of planted aquariums and wanted to try a planted aquarium myself. When I decided to restart the tank I did some research on the web and found Aquatic Plant Central (where I recently became a Mod) and TheKrib.com. I found we had a local aquarium club, the Greater Seattle Society (GSAS), where I joined in January '08. I have been the Horticulture Awards Chairman for two years and I am on the Board of Directors.

GSAS is a very active club; The club invited Karen Randall from AGA to Seattle earlier this month and she did two excellent talks for us, one on plant collecting in Thailand with Christel Kasselmann and the other was on Aquascaping. She mentioned UKAPS and some of the excellent aquascapes coming out of the UK. Tom Barr will be speaking at our club in September. I have known about this site for some time, basically because of The Barr Report and the Aquatic Gardeners Association. I was chatting with a UKAPS member on APC earlier this week, they invited me to join, and I felt it was time to learn more about what our UK friends were doing in the hobby. I look forward to learning a lot and contributing where I can.

Thanks,

Hi All,

I'm Sandra, 31 yr old and new to keeping fish and Aquariums. In March this year I took over a 60x30x40 tank from someone incl the fish. Now I want to rescape it :D . I also got a little Nano Cube 25x25x25 with some little shrimps in it. Hope to get some idea's and to learn from this forum.

Hello all,

I'm new here, still tankless at the moment, after scouring various forums I joined here and PFK, both of which seem great, I'm a 24 year old youth worker, working in some of the rough areas of Edinburgh trying to help people a bit and facilitate them and keep them off the streets. Have a big love of technology, been building PC's for many years, also put a lot of my money into my audio/video in my room, hoping to have my first aquarium in the next couple of months, 150-200 litres and low-tech if I can pull it off.

Nice to meet you all!

Sammy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back