• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Welcome :) Tell us about yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, i really like all of those, especially the last. You have definitely managed to fill it out with plant biomass, despite its height. Mine in comparison has few plants, i'd say less that 50% .....i think I best get some more. Just so many things to get; graded gravel, pebbles, more wood, FE, regulator............ :wideyed:

Hey all

Ive been lurking in the backgrounds for quite some time thought it was time to post

Basically my real name is Chris from north Wales Wrexham area infact 10 mins down the road from TGM so I pester them quite often LOL.

Been keeping fish for 3 years roughly and after I seen some of the setups at TGM I decided to re do my tank and now I have ended up with 2 planted tanks :D . Learning new things every day. :D

To be honest at the mow I use a lot of commercial products on and in my tanks but the more I get in to the hobby the more I am interested in the DIY approach to it too.

Speak to you soon

Chris / Raz
8)

Hi every-one,
my name is Steve and i live in Essex-home of really bad water supply!
I've been keeping fish for about three years now but am only just beginning to take it seriously it was surfing the net that started it, so many fatastic pictures of tanks i couldn't help but get hooked. I've recently spent quite a bit of money upgrading my set-up, new filter, lights, r.o. system etc., but still fighting "THE enemy"- algae. Still, one day-----
Starting an aquarium was probably the worst thing I could have done as I'm disabled and have to use crutches at all times- water changes aint the easiest thing to do, in fact, it takes me about half a day to do that and clean the filters etc. but when seeing the tank in the evening it was well worth it. However, doing large changes in one go (50%) is a no-no so using the E. I. dosing method is out of the question, maybe that's why I'm always fighting algae.
I work full time at a company that makes high end Hi-Fi making speakers, not a particularly well known name but I'm willing to bet some of you have a pair of my speakers at home.
My other pass-times include photography and fishing.
Well, that's me in a nutshell, you'll probably see my name in the future as I've a million and one questions about this life -changing hobby known as fish keeping.

why dont TGM open another store in england. They have a gap in the market, the knowlage and the customers! :)

Themuleous said:
Hello there Chris :) glad you're able to visit TGM lots, wish I had one down this way!! Though I guess my bank balance is glad there isn't!! :lol:
Sam
I agree in both counts lol

Welcome aboard guys :)

Hi Folks,

I think it's about time I introduced myself too, only joined in november 2007 after all!

My name is Les, tho on the net you'll usually find me referred to as Glod. I live on the west coast of Scotland in Troon, famous for its golf courses if you follow that stuff. Don't follow that sport myself I'd rather wander around with a camera than a set of golf clubs.

I'm 38 years old at present and unfortunately not getting any younger. I have been keeping fish on and off since I was a kid. Yes, my first fish was from a fairground and lived in an unfiltered bowl for a couple of years.. poor little guy. My first tank was a 3ft when i lived up near Aberdeen, cold water and undergravel filter strangely the fish that were in it (including tropicals! :wideyed: ) actually survived my mismanagement for years before the tank was dismantled having frozen in the winter during a power outage and cracked. The fish were rescued (mostly) and went on to live long happy lives in my uncles pond.

I have spent most of my life working in electronics, then IT / Tech support and currently I am in Customer Service for a well known DIY brand.

My most recent bout with keeping fish started about 3 years ago when my folks bought a new 4ft tank and then discovered they had no idea what to do with it. I quickly found TFF forums where I learned a lot very quickly and managed this time round to avoid most of my previous screw ups. The tank was even cycled before fish went in. Since then I got a 5 gallon from a PFK sub which I experimented with planting up, asking many inane questions of George, Sam and the others who hung around on TFF then AE forum and finally here. Unfortunately just after joining up here I started a new job with lots of commuting which meant I had little time left for my tanks. I now have a 2ft which I am in the process of rescaping and hope to try out some new ideas inspired by the journals on this site.

I may not post much but you can be sure I am lurking and avidly reading when time permits!

Hi ,i am 43 disabled and unable to work ,i have 5 children ,a wife who walks on water and makes everything worth while ,i am due to study the social sciences with the Open university in may 09 and have just rekindled a hobby in keeping tropical fish .i have gone the direction of a small tank with just one species in chocolate gurami and a few dwarf shrimp ,i may add anything that i find interesting but undisrupted to what i already have in .
My reason for coming and joining this forum is because i find looking after the tank is usually more important than looking after the actual fish and i think if you do the first the second will follow and flourish .So i'm on the issue of plant life and concidering floating plants .on searching i found that unnative species can cause lots of problems to our habitat if released .This suits me fine as i find them expensive and would much rather use natural vegitation from the wild as i live in an easy accesable part of the uk ,Cumbria ,where the end of the street is the country .i would love the fact that i have looked identified and harvested and grew ,my own homeland plants in my small aqairium .

So here i am and looking for what i need to know to achieve my aimes .If this is not possible i am still here to be educated into how to and what to furnish my aqairium with .................Thanks in advance Mark

Welcome Mark! I think it's a very good idea to grow native species :) Not something you see a great deal of in my expericence so I'll be looking forwards to reading how you get on. You'll find a wealth of info about keeping most any plant healthy on here though! :)

Thanks for the welcom and hello ,and yes i think it would be a good idea ,only after extensive searches on the net i cannot find anywhere or anyone who has attempted doing this ,realy quite amazing realy .Cannot even find anyone who says why not to do this because of such and such ,again quite amazing given the cost of tropical plants .
I just thought that somewhere out there there must be plant life that would thrive in an aqairium ,after all we are just talking of a kind of prolonged summer ,and things grow more in summer ,i thought .But it looks as if my idea of this is so outragous as that people havent even discused this online .Ah well i keep looking :)

What would be interesting Mark, is how many non native species you might find.....Riccia, mosses etc.

Dave.

Hi, Ive been lurking around for a while, so time I introduced myself.

I'm Jueloo, (2 year old’s pronounciation of) Julia, 37, I'm a primary teacher in the North East. I've been keeping fish for about 5 years, planted tanks about 3 yrs. I found out about ukaps from clicking on the smart little logo that kept popping up at the bottom of people's sigs on TFF. Most of my knowledge is really from the helpful guys on the TFFforums, so many thanks to you old TFF'ers (does that sound like swearing :lol: ). I registered on ukaps ages ago and then had a very busy year with work and other stuff, so am really a newbie on here. (not done much with tanks except keepin them looking 'presentable')
With more spare time hopefully soon, ive plans for a new scape, so been reading up and benefiting from the wealth of experience on this forum.

Interests: walking, plants/gardening, reading, comedies/stand up (watching – not doing) and planted tanks & fish, oh and ‘the dog’ in no particular order – well the dog would have to come first- sorry fishies!

I love walking in beautiful places. Teesside gets a very bad press but we have some of the best beauty spots just on our doorstep and we are minutes away from the most fantastic scenery with the North York moors. Only an hour from the Lake District too, so that’s a regular holiday and weekend spot for us. The dog loves swimming and so often end up near water and get overloaded with ideas for scapes that I never get around to trying cos... Im too busy out walking looking at scapes.

There are not too many great LFS around here, certainly not too many who know much about aquatic plants, (sorry if there are, please shout up) so this site has already been a fantastic help. Am getting lots of inspiration too!!! I do tend to get hung up on details and tend to worry about getting it right or should I say wrong, so on my quest for a beautiful tank, please forgive in advance the ‘dafter’ questions.
:)

Hi,
I'm Donna from the East Midlands, I'm 36 years old and I work in a nightclub in Notts. I've been keeping fish for 6 or 7 years now but have never kept bigger than a 2ft tank....until now! My husband has just upgraded his tank to a 5ft Juwel and so I have adopted his Fluval. However, as I have a small tank already, I have decided that I would like to have this one as a planted tank.
After reading lots of books and surfing the net for a few weeks, it turns out I'm gonna need some help. I stumbled across this forum and decided to join up in the hope of someone putting me on the right track!! I've always managed to keep live plants in my tanks so I've set myself the challenge of keeping a planted aquarium, and there's a lot more to it than i had origianally thought!
My new tank is empty at the moment because I'm still learning the basics and don't want to start out with a major disaster first time! I'm confused over the lighting though, it's a standard Fluval (40x15x18H) still with the same standard bulbs in as when it was baught - no alterations have been made.
I have ideas for substrate and plants (and have found aqua essentials....) but the lighting situation has really gone over my head, I'm wanting to start with some low-light easy growing plants and take it from there as I learn more so I'm really hoping someone out there can tell me what's the right lighting, for my needs at the moment. (I'm not planning to be using CO2 yet either!!!)
After my night job, I'm a mum to 4 kids aged from 17 down to 8 years old. So I don't get a lot of time for hobbies as such, so I'm looking forward to learning a new interest.
I warn you I'm hoping to learn lots from here!! :)

sabbathuk said:
My new tank is empty at the moment because I'm still learning the basics and don't want to start out with a major disaster first time! I'm confused over the lighting though, it's a standard Fluval (40x15x18H) still with the same standard bulbs in as when it was baught - no alterations have been made.
I have ideas for substrate and plants (and have found aqua essentials....) but the lighting situation has really gone over my head, I'm wanting to start with some low-light easy growing plants and take it from there as I learn more so I'm really hoping someone out there can tell me what's the right lighting, for my needs at the moment. (I'm not planning to be using CO2 yet either!!!)

Hi Donna, welcome :) You might want to post a question in the lighting area about this if you haven't already :) If you want to start off low light then I'd recommend sticking at 1 or 2 WPG (watts per US Gallon). You can do the calculation easily enough - this page will work out how big your tank is and then you just divide the wattage of the bulb over your tank by the number of US gallons in you tank. So your tanks is about 45USG which means you want less than 90W of lighting over it, I'd tend to 60w or under personally, at least to start off with ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back