• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Welcome :) Tell us about yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

Seeing as I've been lurking on here for almost a year, I thought I better introduce myself. I'm Gavin, I'm 26 and live in Edinburgh (originally from further North though). I'm currently studying Computer aided draughting and design and work part time as well.

I first got into fish a couple of years ago when a mate gave me a tank he didn't want, then last year I was bitten by the planted bug after visiting this place a few times, currently I'm running a 36x12x18 planted but have an empty 35l arcadia that's proving to be difficult to ignore... So far I've found this place to be a great source of info and has helped me solve many problems by digging through the forums, so, er yeah, thanks and hi!

Im Adam, 16, Just finished my last year at school and im going on to do A levels at Sixth form, i have only been in fishkeeping for about 9 Months, but i feel i have learnt so much in that short space of time, mainly thanks to TFF and Ukaps Members helping me a long the way. I started fishkeeping with a 15litre biorb, in which i kept 4 goldfish, 1 common plec and 4 wcmm :oops: according to the lfs owner, this was fine :lol: my second tank was a 60cm jewel rekord 60, which i still have now, and lastly my 3rd tank was a nano, which used to house a dwarf puffer until he jumped out :twisted:

cya around

(cant remember if i have posted on this thread :D )

anyway, im Nick, 16 years old (nearly 17 :D ), i am just finishing my first year of A levels at 6th form, been fish keeping for about 1 year and 4 months. I like to read up and research alot, hence why i started with a 120L, as the water Parameters are more stable. This started off with a few plastic plants and then turned into a planted jungle, but with very basic equipment.
(A pic before it grew in fully, no ferts, DIY co2, 1WPG, no plant substrate, just plain old mixed gravel)
IMGP4493.jpg

I then got a small 40L breeding tank for my ever expanding molly and platy population. (which i have since sold, fish and tank :lol: )
Next up is my 240L planted tank, and you can see the journal in my signature and now i have just got a 20L Arc tank.

But, i am still learning. :arrow: :idea:

I'm Gareth. 20 Years of age as I write this. Currently an apprentice mechanical fitter/engineer at Drax Powerstation, and I live literally a mile down the road from Drax in Camblesforth (the village Mark Hobson murdered the 2 sisters in for those of you who recognise the name). Decided to get back into the hobby when a fellow apprentice started up a discus tank, after having had a family aquarium over 5 years ago. Journal is in my signature.

hi i'm paul, i'm 15 years old and have been keeping fish for 5 years, cichlids have been my favorite aspect of the hobby for the last 3 years but in january bought my first issue of pfk, by the march issue i was certain i wanted to have a planted tank, so i sold my pair of german rams from my juwel rekord 600 (63 litre) and wedged in the spare ballast i had lying around and the 15 watt ulb, i later found out it's a 40 watt ballast :oops: but it's running ok. i'm now re-scaping my tank and doing the things i should ahve done in april now, i'll let you all know how i get on in the future, maybe start a journal.... time will tell

Cheers, Paul

Hi All,

My name is Gary, I live in Nottingham & by trade I've been a PC engineer for almost 30 years :wideyed: I've plodded along on what was a green'n'pleasant land for 51 years :rolleyes:

Over 25 year ago I used to install aquariums for friends, but got disheartened when they got neglected & fish suffered. So I gave it up. As my kids grew up, they had aquariums, now they've left home & have left two tanks behind. One of them had been laid empty for about two years until last Sunday - now it's on the go in the living room 8) The other one has a solitary Gourami called Gordon - he's been on his own in a three foot tank for over a year. So, as my eldest seemed disinclined to sort him a new home - I have resurected an old hobby - I want to give Gordon a new home & some friends in a planted aquarium.

Oh my, how things have changed in all that time....time to learn a few new skills...chemistry appears to be top of the list :lol:

Well I've posted a few questions, but I forgot to tell you who I am. Time to put that right.

I'm Paula, and I'm ** years old ;) I've been keeping fish for over 30 years :wideyed: My first was a goldfish won at the fair, we set him up in a 11L tank with a filter and he lived with us for about 10 years. When I married I was able to have a 'proper' Aquarium - a 3ft which ran with an air driven UG filter and was fully planted, amazingly the plants grew really well despite having no CO2 and just a GroLux tube. These days I have 4 tanks in the living room :oops: One belonging to my son who is 11. I've got MTS because I got caught out buying 6 beautiful Betta females who all turned out to be males !! I have one left now, at 3 1/2 years he's an old man, but he still finds the energy to flare at the fish in the 'big' tank :)

My main aim at the moment is to get the tanks back on an even keel after the Waterboard renewed the pipes last year.

Am finding this forum a mine of information - things have changed so much over the years and I find there's always something more to learn

Hello: I am Bis. I love fish from a very young age but enjoying the hobby for just for about 20 years now. Almost half half in India and in England. But the two experiance are not the same.

Availability and affordability made it very difficult for me to maintain good aquarium in India. I have started with a 2ft X 1ft X 1ft tank having a mix of some tropical fish like molies, tiger barbs and varieties of tetra's and some gold fish. I can remember all my fish in the tank died after the first water change in ten days as the tap water had high concentration of chlorine. It was difficult at that time to learn about the science of fish keeping. But I managed to purchase a book on how to maintain tropical aquarium fish, their diseases etc which was written by some US author. As I continue with my hobby, it got refined with experiance. I was able to buy a 4ft X 2ft X 2ft tank with in 2 years but still has not considered making tap water safe before putting into the tank!

I have always maintained an aquarium here at UK. I have two tanks at the moment. One 5ft X 2ft X 2ft well planted tank that I started Jan this year now have 17 Discus of size between 4.5 inch and 7 inch and 4 bristle nose plecos. I am raising 5 red bellies in the other tank. They are just 2 months old - I think.

I have joind this forum just yesterday. I was a member of the The Aquatic Room forum which has now been closed and has a recomendation for this forum. I just browsed a few posts in this forum and found them interesting.

Thats all about my fish. Hope I will get information and help from this forum. And I also hope I will be able to help other hobiest in their need.

Cheers,
Bis

Hi All,

I am a new member from the US and this is my very first post. I have been quite impressed with contributions from UK hobbyists on Aquatic Plant Central and other boards, and I'm interested to look around here. I have a couple of different planted tank projects underway and intend to start a thread or two in the Journals forum.

I am primarily interested in planted ripariums and ponds, but I also have some livebearers in breeding colonies.

Regards,

Hydrophyte

Hi all.
Well I am new to here and new to Aquascaping. I will give a brief(relatively) how it all came about.

In a few short days I move into my new place and so I decided to finally go and get that tank I have been wanting for the last couple of years.
Having not had a tank for over 10 years, the only prerequisite on my part was large. My intention was to set it up for Australian Natives.

So after lightening my wallet, I am now the owner of a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank, with lights, filter, heater and cabinet. I do not know the specifics such a makes and models as it won't arrive until Friday.

My first problem was how will I lay it out, a quick google on fish tank design ideas and a new word is added to my vocabulary "aquascaping". The next step was to click image options on an aquascaping search and my world pretty much caved in.

Whilst clicking images feverishly I was astounded with what people were doing and new this was something I wanted to do. To be honest I am now a little daunted as a tank of that size is pretty ambitious for someone that is literally at the very beginning, but we will see how it all goes.

cheers

Hi guys, I live in the Channel Islands.
I have worked with fish for 30 years having been involved in Koi farming, koi pond construction, fish tank construction & japanese garden design.
I am a team leader on a large diving site & active on numerous other Internet sites.
I have experience in keeping most forms of aquariums & ponds, I have also been fortunate enough to have designed & built some very spectacular projects.
However I am not really up to speed with the latest planted tank techniques but recently converted my reef tank to a freshwater planted tank complete with sump & metal halide lighting.
I have since removed the halide as is really spoils the living room night time abeyance!!
So looking forward to communicating with you all on a learning curve to success.
Fox. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back