Well, here we go! - An introduction (Picture Heavy)

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Finlay, 16 Jul 2009.

1. Finlay

Finlay Newly Registered

This is my first post here on UKAPS, however i have been a member on TFF for years. Recently i decided to try my hand at aquascaping... Big mistake??? You decide! xD Im not the most professional, brilliant or talented at this, but as an average skilled aquarist i think i did ok?! Anyway the reason i joined was to get some more in depth feedback and constructive critiscms from you guys, i really want to get better and i appreciate that this is a steep learning curve from the good old days of a bunch of elodea stuffed into some bogwood! I will post some pictures of the tank as it developed up to current day for you but first; the all important specs!

Tank Rio 125l with internal filter
    Substrate Eco-Complete (20lbs), Pea Gravel
    Lighting 2 X 20 watt Sunglo Bulbs - 1.5 WPG
    Fertilisers EasyCarbo - 2ml daily, TPN - 10ml weekly
    Fauna 6 X Neon Tetras, 1 Bronze Cory, 4 Guppies, 3 Dwarf Gouramis, 2 Amano Shrimp
    FloraHC, Java Moss, Crypt.Becketti, Amazon Swords, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Hairgrass, Elodea Densa, Java Fern, Crassula Helmsii, Crypt. Balansae, Giant Japanese Rush, and a moss ball for good measure! xD

Some plants were a bit experimental for example the HC, however it seems to be excelling!!
    Initial Hardscape
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Trying Out some Ideas With Some Cheap Plants From P@H
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Plants Have Arrived From Java-Plants.co.uk!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And A Close Up Of Grumpy Gills!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Please note, this low tech tank was done on a budget!!!! Had to resort to beach nabbing for the stones and everything
    :twisted: Please comment!!! I need feedback!
    but be kind :?
    Finlay

2. lljdma06

lljdma06 Member

Hmmmm. Where have I seen this tank before? Let me think! :lol:

Where's that picture of the suspect plant! Stop dawdling and post it already. :lol:

3. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Very nice start Finlay, but the Twitter links are annoying. ;)

4. Finlay

Finlay Newly Registered

Haha! Sorry i completley forgot! Lol! And thanks for the comment TDI-Line :) How can i improve it though?

5. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

I think you could have a nice island scape. Mastering plant growth should come before aquascaping though 8)

6. Finlay

Finlay Newly Registered

So by that you mean moving the plants to the centre island? That was what i originally thought about. I am just a beginner, so im learning as i go along, good tip about learning the plants first ;) I think i will .let it grow out first, then start thinking about moving things around :)

7. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

yes, clearly you are on the right track which is always a good sign,

here is a good example
    viewtopic.php?f=35&t=968&hilit=variance

8. Finlay

Finlay Newly Registered

Woah dont think i could ever do something like that!! Thanks for keeping an eye on the thread though ;) Picture will be up later tonight for identification