• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Well Hi, Riccia Fluitans

I haven't bought any riccia since around 2008ish. I had great dreams after seeing, apologies the memories not so good but was one of the folk here in uk where they had a riccia carpet on plastic grid among other places in one of their tanks they posted a few, this was in their hall near some stairs - now that sounds creepy, but it was the tank, maybe even the first time I'd noticed photography outside the "art-hole" scene but still sticks in my mind, back to my paltry efforts at the time with yeast beast DIY CO2 and biscuit-ersed but best intentioned way and was always doomed to failure with it. With all plants its fun trying frustrating when failing but so long as I thought I knew why it was going wrong, always forwards. Sorry I've had a beer, first for a long time, anyways the point is, this riccia - I got so frustrated I ended up dumping it, or as much as I could get but here we are almost a decade later and still I find strands of it. Marvellous robust bloody minded stuff what :) Beware though once in never oot.

I love riccia, but it's inability to attach is a massive downfall (sure someone mentioned it does attach when grown terrestrially but don't quote me on that).

I had it recreating a tree of sorts in my first ever aquarium. I used plastic mesh as the base of the tufts of the tree as it were, placed the riccia on top then covered it with fine black plastic netting (salvaged from a hair band thing from pound shop). It grew through the netting great, couldn't even see it after two weeks...... then another two weeks later I come home to find most of it floating!

It literally grew through the net, the underneath perished due to lack of light/flow/whatever and the top healthy growth just let go! Right pain in the back side.

I'd rather have riccia knocking about the tank than java moss still!

Oh dear, I forgot about my post homebrew slaver :) Brewferm Christmas beer is not a session beer!!!!!

Cheers for answering HiNtZ,

Yeah it's along the top of the juwel backing growing emersed - not a lot but enough to keep seeding the tank. I'd taken a scraping and let it multiply in the nano with similar intentions of tying onto wood but came to the same conclusion of it being an all round PIA.

Your fissidens is chugging along nicely cheers, the tank had a spell of neglect due to decorating so back to fighting some BBA but there's hope yet :)

Hope you're tickety-boo

Oh dear, I forgot about my post homebrew slaver :) Brewferm Christmas beer is not a session beer!!!!!

Cheers for answering HiNtZ,

Yeah it's along the top of the juwel backing growing emersed - not a lot but enough to keep seeding the tank. I'd taken a scraping and let it multiply in the nano with similar intentions of tying onto wood but came to the same conclusion of it being an all round PIA.

Your fissidens is chugging along nicely cheers, the tank had a spell of neglect due to decorating so back to fighting some BBA but there's hope yet :)

Hope you're tickety-boo

Ahhh, yeah I'm good. Ups and downs in the main tank as usual but this week I feel is going to be a good one. I know I'm pushing it hard, but the speed of growth is just too addictive. My mates come round one night and see it, then they come back 4 days later and they're shocked that it's almost doubled in mass. It's hard for me to notice it though which is a bit frustrating. It's like kids - you don't notice them growing up when they're always around you, yet other people's kids seem to be growing overnight.

Glad the moss is going well.... I put homebrew CO2 on my 50L and the dormant bits that were attached to some wood are waking up. They've taken about 8 months to attach.

Back