• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Welsh Mountains...A Distant Echo.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers for the glowing endorsement, George. Are you just being nice because I gave you some CO2 stuff? :lol:

Dave.

Looks stunning! beautiful tank, what are your stocking plans for fish?

JOHNNY

johnny70 said:

JOHNNY

D`Oh, I knew I forgot something.

There are seven Cardinals in there, but they always hide out back by the diffuser. I will get more in due course, hopefully giving them more confidence in numbers.

I don`t want to overdo it though, as I don`t want the hassle of moving fish when this tank is moved.

Dave.

Dave Spencer said:
johnny70 said:

JOHNNY

D`Oh, I knew I forgot something.

There are seven Cardinals in there, but they always hide out back by the diffuser. I will get more in due course, hopefully giving them more confidence in numbers.

I don`t want to overdo it though, as I don`t want the hassle of moving fish when this tank is moved.

Dave.

I've got about 100 cardinals, they all hide by the diffuser too.

Except for feeding time, then it looks like a scene from an early Bond movie.

TDI-line said:
I've got about 100 cardinals, they all hide by the diffuser too.

Except for feeding time, then it looks like a scene from an early Bond movie.

That`s a blow. I was hoping greater numbers would make them more confident, and I certainly won`t be able to fit in anything like 100.

Dave.

George Farmer said:
I had about 30 cardinals in my 125 litre a couple of years ago. They swam about all over and schooled nicely if you waved your hand about near the glass.

Good stuff. I reckon I`ll build their numbers up over the next week or two when I am not stuck at work. I`ll dust off my old aircraft marshalling wands, too. :lol:

They are lovely fish when they come out, and really enhance the look of the tank.

Dave.

My 40 swim all around the tank and look great. Having some cichlids to chase them off every now and then helps too! ;)

George Farmer said:
I had about 30 cardinals in my 125 litre a couple of years ago. They swam about all over and schooled nicely if you waved your hand about near the glass.

So, you people who regularly completely change your tanks, what do you do with the fish from the previous setups? Where are your cardinals now?

Do you take them back to the shops? Or give them to other hobbyists?

I'm terrible, I feel so strongly that it's my duty to keep the fish in the best environment I can for the whole of their lives, so my setups don't get a new look every six months. And then, four years later, when I'm starting to lose a shoal (to old age), and I'm getting excited about getting a new species, half the time I feel so sorry for the fish that are left when their shoal is down to 3 or 4 that I end up getting them some mates - D'oh! Must be harder hearted! Of course, it's always a good excuse for a new tank!

It is a funny old hobby isn't it? I LOVE ottocinclus - they remind me of little rabbits, hopping around the tank, and peeping up at me with their beautiful gold eyes - lovely white tummies - stripes - and I look at them, and think, how can this beautiful living animal be worth £1?

Anyway, sorry for the digression - but I would be interested to know how people who dismantle and re set up their tanks regularly deal with the old inhabitants.

(Actually, I did once take a fish back to the shop, and I felt very guilty. But then again, when I breed fish and have to get rid of the young ones I have no qualms about selling them to shops. Funny that. Sorry, I can't stop waffling!)

Mark

Vauxhallmark,

The Cardinals are the original occupants of this tank when I first set it up 15 months ago. Basically, they have sat in a bucket during the many occasions I have rescaped, and have been none the worse for wear.

Personally, I don`t get attached to my fish, and don`t look upon them as pets. I find that looking after my plants, by default, creates a healthy environment for my fish. I`ve never had any diseases in any of my tanks.

Dogs I can get emotionally attached, but not fish I`m afraid.

Dave.

TDI-line said:
eds said:
My 40 swim all around the tank and look great. Having some cichlids to chase them off every now and then helps too! ;)

Previously i did have a few discus in there, they never swam out of the shoal!

Maybe a pair of dwarf cichlids would be better? My Pelvicachromis certainly keep them shoaling well.

For any potential competition purposes, this scape is called......

A Distant Echo.

Go on Tourney, this one is way too easy for you.

P.S. I am in the process of building up the Cardinal numbers.

Dave.

Re: Re:

George Farmer said:
vauxhallmark said:
... but I would be interested to know how people who dismantle and re set up their tanks regularly deal with the old inhabitants.

Back to my quality LFS generally. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

You have no heart George, tut tut. :?

TDI-line said:
George Farmer said:
vauxhallmark said:
... but I would be interested to know how people who dismantle and re set up their tanks regularly deal with the old inhabitants.

Yeah taking some of my fish away would bother me.

Although my Yoyo Loach is going to my friends Dad's 6' tank since he won't behave in my 30g so I had to move him to 10g.

TDI-line said:
George Farmer said:
vauxhallmark said:

Actually, I do. I also eat meat. :D

Any progress shots, Dave?

Back