• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Welsh Plant ID

TBRO

Was out walking on the Denbigh Moors and saw this quite attractive looking plant growing in a floating mat but it also grew submerged. The water must have only been about 2 - 3 degrees above freezing. Can anyone ID it from my crappy phone shot? could be a really nice one to keep as an emergent in a bowl on my windowsill....

wabikusa073.jpg

Mint in that case looks cool, should have picked some and smelt it :lol:

I guess the acid test would be to go back and see if it changes come summer. The foliage looked really nice and kind of out of place amongst all the other dead winter plants.

It's a little hard to tell from the photo but it looks a little like Water Forget-me-not. I've grown it in my pond where it flwoers all sumer but never tried it emersed. The prominent mid-ribs look very familiar.

Willowherb was the other thing I thought, like Darrel.

It is definitely not a mint.

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
The groovy leaf does look like Myosotis (Water Forget-me-not), but I can remember whether that forms a wintergreen rosette, if it does that becomes a distinct possibility.
cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel,
In my pond it was certainly evergreen in a rosette form at the end of the lateral branches that came out from the pot. Looking just like the posted pictures in fact! Above the water it was less developed and sometimes wouldn't form obvious overwintering rosettes. Until it flowers I wouldn't be sure of the species though.

Hi all,
As it doesn't look a very big leaf rosette and it is a true aquatic I'll change my suggestion to agree with Ed's.
The 2 possibilities then become Myosotis scorpioides or Myosotis secunda , could be either but M. scorpioides is more likely (although it likes more base rich water and M. sicula more acid conditions, and this looks quite acid water). Both of these (and the other water forget-me-not M. laxa, but that doesn't form clumps) are very similar and you need to look at the hairs on the flowering stems to tell them apart.
cheers Darrel

Just out of interest I returned to the little stream only to find the plant almost gone :( A few strands were caught in the reeds at the side so I took some home. I'm not sure if the cold weather has killed it back or if it has simply been washed downstream. In any case it seems quite happy growing emerged on my bathroom windowsill.... Hope to see what it fully grows into, potentially a pretty riparium plant.

tanksmarch2010003.jpg

tanksmarch2010002.jpg

tanksmarch2010004.jpg

Sexy little plant.

We have some lovely aquatic plants in the UK. The hardest thing is the temperatures for us. Perhaps a green house native set up would be cool to see.

Love the enthusiasm Tom. Isn't nature just brilliant.

Thanks Graeme, I hope it will be a nice edition to my collection. I'm toying with somehow making a set-up which combines WK and Riparium as I'm now getting a short list of plants that work well in these conditions. Thanks for the tip with the HC it looks really nice in my WK, must up date that thread!

that looks a nice plant.

there is a plant in a small natural pond in the cow field over the road. its looks very much like emersed rotala rotundifolia. it has red patches on it, and is growing half emersed and half imersed. ill have to grab some and grow it like you have :D

Yeah I'm really pleased, the only care is a couple of inches of aquasoil and half an inch of water above that + sunlight, I hope it flowers given time. Post some pics I bet there are some cool British plants out-there! T

Back