• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What’s gone wrong

Wolfie

Anyone know what’s gone wrong with this plant?
Bacopa Autralis

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    709.8 KB · Views: 172
I did cut back as they were nearly at surface, replanted tops that was on Friday, get back today after weekend away and they now look like that

I've not noticed otos eating my healthy plants, but I did catch my amanos enjoying my new extra good quality hydrocotyle leucocephala before I moved it to another tank a few weeks ago! I think the holes you have look similar to my amano-nommed plants.

Nerites?

Would shrimp do this for lack of food or just because?
I think shrimp love a bit of fresh veg every now and again, and they seem to be telling you they want some (how are they to know you haven't provided those plants for their consumption!?), so maybe try feeding them a boiled (1 - 2minutes) chard or kale or nettle leaf, and see if you do that every few days if they stop eating your plants. Since it's boiled it will be more digestable to them so hopefully they'll prefer it and leave the plants alone. I add one once a week now and they devour it within a day, with everything in the tank getting in on the action (amanos, cherries, rabbit snails, tiny snails, blackworms, etc). Or you could try adding an extra algae wafer.

I think shrimp love a bit of fresh veg every now and again, and they seem to be telling you they want some (how are they to know you haven't provided those plants for their consumption!?), so maybe try feeding them a boiled (1 - 2minutes) chard or kale or nettle leaf, and see if you do that every few days if they stop eating your plants. Since it's boiled it will be more digestable to them so hopefully they'll prefer it and leave the plants alone. I add one once a week now and they devour it within a day, with everything in the tank getting in on the action (amanos, cherries, rabbit snails, tiny snails, blackworms, etc). Or you could try adding an extra algae wafer.
I did put in algae wafer last night, now im home for a week i can keep 👁 on them.

I’ve seen shrimp do this to the leaves of Alternanthera, they either remove the top layer of tissue or they just abrade the surface enough when eating biofilm that the tissues below the surface collapse. As these are chopped tops (and if they have no roots) they may be struggling a bit and being a bit leaky and inhabitants sense this and have taken advantage.

:)

Likewise I’m sure my shrimp (cherries) have been nibbling the underside of my floating plants, mostly the salvinia - I’m taking this as a sign I need to feed more now their population is increasing.

Back