• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What’s the cause, mutation or deficiency?

This Rotala (not so) ‘Green’ has had access only to nutrients in the water column, which I’ve irregularly added nutrients to and the background levels are London tap water which is quite high in NO3 and PO4. The light is moderate (Twinstar EA slightly dimmed) and CO2 is set relatively low 20-25ppm.The stems are from under ‘exactly’ the same conditions.

If it’s a mutation, what should I call it?
Rotala Sunset, Rotala Bronze, Rotala Melon;)

0851CAFE-FCC6-4E5B-A317-3591E89C2D01.jpeg
54424BC1-2595-4FCD-8487-C8A41BB14F48.jpeg
94A7E5E0-369F-4939-AE12-498965A1F9D0.jpeg
1E32D3DD-3E19-414B-A79F-D857644AEBFD.jpeg

Thats the thing, it’s Rotala Green. ;)
Unlikely :)

I’ve seen even Tropica mislabel the odd pot
Locally available plants from other sources often arrive incorrectly labeled ... or perhaps shop/intermediate distributor failed to note the substitution on the farm list, also some Asian suppliers don’t label individual bags (or provide individual pot labels) assuming that the receiver has sufficient plant knowledge to sort which group is which, given the supply list

Unlikely :)

I’ve seen even Tropica mislabel the odd pot
Locally available plants from other sources often arrive incorrectly labeled ... or perhaps shop/intermediate distributor failed to note the substitution on the farm list, also some Asian suppliers don’t label individual bags (or provide individual pot labels) assuming that the receiver has sufficient plant knowledge to sort which group is which, given the supply list

The two stems shown came in the same pot. There’s more than one bronze stem and they appeared after a heavy trimming. I’m thinking they mutated.

Leaf shape looks similar to Rotala "colorata" that I have, and colour range is similar. Looks nothing like my Rotala "green" which has much smaller and sharper leaves.

What was the nursery source?
Rotalas can be mixed up easily....they all look the same without labels!
I've received Green Rotala instead of the Standard Rotala sp rotundifolia :mad:

Looks like the bog-standard rotundifolia;)

Rotalas can be mixed up easily....they all look the same without labels!
I've received Green Rotala instead of the Standard Rotala sp rotundifolia :mad:

Looks like the bog-standard rotundifolia;)
What was the nursery source?

This can’t have been a labelling issue, as the two colour forms were in the same pot. The ‘Rotundifolia‘ colour arose spontaneously after the pot having only green stems before the first trimming.

The plants must have either been mixed in the same pot when growing out in the Tropica nursery. Or the mutation has spontaneously occurred in multiple stems, which I think is possible as I believe the ‘Green’ and ’Rotundifolia‘ varieties are the same species, but with different lineage. I guess the green form has reverted.

Do you have photos of the still green stem positions? or has it all reverted?

The plants must have either been mixed in the same pot when growing out in the Tropica nursery.
This is defenitely a possibility.
A mix could happen at the actual potting-process (though very unlikely), if the two types have been handled right after each-other (even a tiny bit of both types will grow, if accidentially introduced to the pot of another plant). There are ofcourse cleaning processes inbetween handling different plants.
A mix could hapen in the nursery (much more likely) if pots of both types are growing side by side. An extraordinary long branch could actually invade a neighbouring pot. If un-noticed in packing process, this branch could break and follow the "neighbouring pot".

Back