• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What’s the going rate for these moss?

Raws69

hi. Pruned the tree this morning and have the following amounts of moss, which I know the one on the left is mini Xmas moss and seen this go on the forum for about £7 for the size of a £2 coin, so how much should I ask for this bunch? Also not sure what the moss is on the right (separate close up attached), is this also sellable? Pile in the middle is a mixture of the 2.

cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 217
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 146
no idea what you should ask for them, but bear in mind a tropica cup is £5.50 and is larger than a £2 coin

I’d think of it this way...if it was you looking to buy something to add to your tank and you’ve already dropped a used cars worth of money into it, wouldn’t you appreciate a reasonable hobbyist giving you a fair price? That’s why we are all on here right, to help and spread the wealth?

£8-10 for the fissidens (all of it) a bit less for the mini Xmas moss (£6.00?). Mini Xmas is hard to get now but I think I’ve spread it around ukaps a bit so a bit easier to come by on here.

The mix one not worth selling.

Price inc postage, Small freezer bag. Spray so that the moss is damp. Post in a small Jiffy bag or whatever.

That is a fair price I think? You’ll get more money on eBay but more hassle also maybe, I hate eBay and refuse to use it since getting scammed! 😂 (Crying face, defo not laughing!)

Last edited:
Hi all,
That’s what I’m asking about, fair price for the forum Member.
Cheap to post (large letter, first class), so a nominal amount to cover p&p for you? and optional "donation to the forum" by the lucky member? or swap for something you like?

I'll be honest I agree with @Siege , I've given away a lot of plants, but I've also received a huge amount of plants, fish, filter media etc from the generosity other aquarists, many of whom are members of this forum.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Selling on Ebay has its pitfalls!
Charges 10% of most things including Postage!
The moss would have to be clean and free of infected critters/algae....or you are going to have buyers complaining....and that means a refund.
;) hoggie

There some good sellers eg get back if theres a issue etc but some really slow ones too . Sooner pay a little more and kno the seller

is this also sellable?
I always ask the seller if it comes from a snail free tank. It can be a factor to some people.
A good idea is to take some rock, break it apart and tie it on. It makes it far easier to establish fissidens spp. I used to string all the lumps together and hang them down the side of the glass. It makes it far easier for the end user to pop a bit of rock into their scape than to go to all the fuss of gluing it all on. It is also a very good USP.

In our country, we have a forum called AquaplantExchange it mainly is aimed towards swapping and or selling bits of plants the members grow... It often is a demand thing, loads is offered but never sold and finally ends up in the bin since the majority of the hobbyist do not have the means and material to keep it indefinitely... A simple construct is, offer it cheap to make it sell quick to somebody curious about it. Just not curious enough to pay the top price.

Do you want a top price you have to wait for that one person feeling in need to want it this badly. That's back to square one, how much and how long are you willing or able to keep it fresh and alive for that? Investing in this would make you want even a higher (reasonable) price for this.

Reasonable is a very personal thing... Reasonable for you could be far from my budget etc. And it can be hard to compete with other sellers having a different and cheaper idea of being reasonable.

Next thing, P&P is often a bummer... I don't know about UK prices, but for me, an envelope with a number 1 stamp is about €1,- and with this, I can send 60gr in a letter. 60gr moist plants securely packed ain't that much. 60gr to 90gr will be 2 x number 1 stamps. The moment the size exceeds letter format P&P becomes €7.95 and this is no longer lucrative for a single cup of Fissidens moss. Then a trip to the LFS is cheaper.

Since it is perishable life goods selling small bits cheap and quick is the next best option. Then you at least have a little in return or else it ends up in the bin anyway.

Last edited:
Is the donations to the site, purely optional? For instance if I post these or other items under donations, then send the item, does the recipient have to donate? How does this get followed up on, or are you just relying on their honesty....

just relying on their honesty....

Yup! :) And it doesn't always work out as planned... At least that's my experience, not naming names... If I have something to offer I always say via PM... Eyeball it after you received it, then praise it what it's worth to you and donate this amount to UKAPS via the Donate Button and please place a comment in the Donation Sticky... :)

Till now only one member grabbed the goods, he confirmed delivery and said he would donate but never did and never showed up at this forum again after that... I assume poor chap probably doesn't know what he's missing out on. And this for a few bucks... But it happens obviously... Maybe I'm jumping conclusions here since we all are about all rather anonymous, one can never know why and what really happened.

Only had 1 issue with a slow donation.

My main issue with selling plants/moss just for donation is that 3 months (sometime just 1 month) later the buyer is advertising cuttings of those plants/moss for profit with no donation on those sales, It’s bloody annoying, doesn't encourage people to provide plants for just donation and is just plain rude.

Personally i‘d like to see a percentage charge on all sales going to UKAPS or an annual fee (£10 say) to access the for sales board. The latter would also stop people joining, getting the 25 posts to access the for sale board and are then only seen again on just that part of the forum......

Rant over 😂

Last edited:
Back