• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What algae busting crew is suitable - Tiger Barbs

JohnC

On a mountain in the Highlands of Scotland
Hi,

I'm wanting to suggest a clean up crew for a tank with a bunch of tiger barbs but i understand they are not safe to keep with Amano's and Otos.... does anyone have any experience of this?

Is a bristlenose plec or two the next best alternative?

Cheers in advance,
John

bn's are just fine with tiger barbs as are pretty much any plec. I'm surprised you list otto's as not mixing they should mix fine tiger barbs tend to only nip fins which are brightly coloured though in large groups they also stop bothering with the nipping. I keep mine with redtailed sharks for example and never have any issue

hinch said:
bn's are just fine with tiger barbs as are pretty much any plec. I'm surprised you list otto's as not mixing they should mix fine tiger barbs tend to only nip fins which are brightly coloured though in large groups they also stop bothering with the nipping. I keep mine with redtailed sharks for example and never have any issue

I'm just repeating more what I read about them and oto's rather then speaking from experience. Tbh i'd always choose oto's over bristlenose plec's anyday. love oto's.

what do you think is the optimal small group size for tigers to keep them looking inwards?

I keep tiger barbs with b/nose plecs and otos never had any issues, plecs are pooing machines though!

DSent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

CM

srm1973 said:
I keep tiger barbs with b/nose plecs and otos never had any issues, plecs are pooing machines though!

DSent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

CM

Yeah, I'd rather not do plec's. What size is your tiger barb grouping?

Did have 6 originally. Got them about a year ago lost 4 in the first few months, the remaining 2 are great no problems between each other or other tank mates which are colombian tetra, emperor tetras, serpae tetras and Australian rainbows

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

what do you guys think about Amano's and tiger barbs? stick a couple in a see?

I've been thinking the same, if you try let me know how it goes

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

I have 4 tiger barbs, and they will eat shrimp under a certain size. I think anything over 2cm are safe.
Jumangi pets in kilburn have amino that are quite large. TB ignore them completely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fleabilly said:
I have 4 tiger barbs, and they will eat shrimp under a certain size. I think anything over 2cm are safe.
Jumangi pets in kilburn have amino that are quite large. TB ignore them completely.

interesting. I'd like to get more opinions before trying it thou.

I'm fully looking after the tank now. The 9 tiger barbs are pretty well overfed and settled.

There must be two bristlenose plec's in there as they seem to have bred. Currently there are 5 babies kicking about. They are quite visible so they must not be getting too much harassment. Although i did witness two tigers sniffing around one until it fled for safety into moss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back