• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What algae is this?

Jop371

Hi all,

I've recently set up my Dennerle 20L nanocube, 10 days later I'm finding clumps of brown sludge clinging to the plants and wood. The lights are currently on for 8 hours a day and I'm currently injecting co2. Does anyone have any idea what kind of algae this is and what is causing it?

It can bee seen just under the arch of this branch. ( I know it's hard to see)

http://s16.postimg.org/5eb5wx18l/IMG_3415.jpg

IMG_3415.jpg

Thanks for your help :)

Probably mould growing on the wood. Often scoffed by fish like Ottos's but as a new tank obviously won't be ready for fish for next month or two.

Wipe it off, but will die away by itself.

Could be BBA due to having your lights on far far far too long, especially for a new tank. I would start at max 4 hours (and reduce brightness) for a month or two until tank has cycled. Then increase slowly brightness and time.

I assume you are fully EI dosing as you are using CO2 ?

Thanks for your reply Ian.
The same algae is also clinging into the base of my carpeting plants. Could it still be mold?

I'll reduce the lighting timel back :) It is currently set up with 24W tubes as well as Dennerle 5.0 LED. Maybe I'll just use the LED's for a while

I am currently using a half dose of Tropica Fertilizer. Both the standard and the advanced.

The same algae is also clinging into the base of my carpeting plants. Could it still be mold?
Ok. Most likely algae due to far far far too much light killing your new plants, causing them to leach organics into the water feeding the algae. You will also be getting ammonia from new tank setup which in conjunction with high light will lead again to algae. Get the hint about light level ?;).

Not sure on your fertiliser, expensive water as far as I can see and no potassium in that price as well :confused:

As you are using CO2 I assume you are dosing 2 pumps per day (at least !!) as per Tropica's instructions, of both the Tropica's and adding potassium some how as I don't see that in Tropica's ingredients.

I'm still new to this hobby so I'm on a steep learning curve.
Hint taken about the light :) I'll sort that out when I get home.
I'm doing 1 pump to start off with. I read it's a good idea not to add to much to begin with due to algae (ironic I know given my lighting situation)

I am not adding potassium no. Is there a particular EI product you would recommend?

This is where it states the daily dosing needed if using CO2. Quite hard to spot....
http://tropica.com/en/guide/make-your-aquarium-a-success/fertiliser-and-co2/

I would move to the considerably cheaper EI dosing. This is the kit I started with, just buying more salts when need.
http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/fertilisers/dry-chemicals/starter-kits/ei-starter-kit.html

As you have such a small one o_O (stop sniggering at the back....) you might want to consider mixing up the EI mixture up at 1/2 (or even 1/4) strength, so that you dose the easier to handle 10ml (or 20ml) for your tank size, rather than fiddling around trying to dose 5ml (the 500ml bottles have a 20ml dosing chamber) or fiddling around with syringes. Or you could try "Mr AquariumPlantFood, I have a very small one, would it be possible for me to buy your handy EI started kit with 250ml dosing bottles rather than monster 500ml dosing bottles" :D (stop sniggering at the back again.......)

This kit has 500gr MgSO4 (the one that runs out first), using 6 tsp per bottle (500ml) which is roughly 36grams, should give you 14 bottles worth -> 7 litres. Dosing @ 5ml every alternate day gives 7000/5 * 2 -> 2800 days -> 7.5 years worth of fertilisers for £18..bargain.:)

Back