• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

what algae

clivealive

hi
could someone tell me if this is brown algae(diatoms) or BBA ?
tank is a freshwater cichlid tank with no plants. also depending on outcome what is the best chemical treatment/options , thank u
DSCN0630.JPG

It looks like black brush algae to this not expert. Only because of the deep red colouration. Is that a plec hiding underneath? If so then that would eat diatoms I think?

yes its a BN plec there are 2 but not eating it or at least if they are its not enough. rock now covered

I understand that less light and/or light period will help. Also more plants seems to help.

What is your setup? Lights, time on and off, light level, filter, tank size, temp, any dosing you are doing.

With this information the experts will likely give you some suggestions as to what to change to stop it.

tank is 7x2 x2 , i have 2 beamworks 10000k leds , 2 filters fx6 and jbl crystal profi 1900e, lights on about 10 hours, would more water movement help?

so what treatment chaps ?
Since this isnt a planted tank our usual advice doesnt really work.

If you want to kill the algae in a safe way, you can remove the affected decor from the tank and apply a treatment.
For instance glutaraldehyde, the ingredient in Seachem Excel, EasyCarbo, all sorts of so called "liquid carbon" supplements will kill this algae.
Once the decor is out of the aquarium, take a brush and apply the treatment directly to the surface of the decor.
Let it sit for an hour or so, and then rinse the decor thoroughly in the sink.
You can then put it back in the tank, the algae will die within a few days and algae eaters eat this kind of algae after it has died.

(Edit: Remember to use gloves!)

Last edited:
Back