• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What aquascaping tools do you use and why?

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
I've managed to lose my aquascaping scissors and tweezers!

Before I invest in some new tools I'd like to know what makes and styles you guys and girls use, and why.

I was using curved tipped scissors and angled tweezers - both 30cm and JBL. They did the job fine, but were showing some rust, and I have used more comfortable tools.

Cheers!

I use the curved 30cm JBL snips and tweezers too, and I find them perfect.

For more detailed work I use some 5" curved medical snips, and some hobby 6" sprung tweezers. I did use some rather expensive hairdressing scissors, but the medical snips are just as good.

Other tools I use are an old credit card should the glass get dirty, a 5ml syringe to dose liquid carbon, and some measuring spoons for dry powders. A baby bottle cleaner for the hoses (with bamboo cane attached for extra length), and a jug n' bucket for water changes.

I used the AE set of 5 tools, but mostly used the long tweezers, and also a JBL razor blade like glass cleaner, and a dustpan for sculpting aquasoil.

I use the UKAPS toolkit also, but after using Dan's ADA tweezers at the last BBQ I know what I will replace my kit with eventually ;) the quality and ease of use were something else.

Have 2 papillon tools. A long straight Pinsette and Scisssors. They are good when you have large tank otherwise using them less then my smaller tools.
Have 2 other tools a Do!Aqua small curved scisssor and a i guess an M or an S size straight pinsette also Do!Aqua.
The scissor is similar to a surgery tool. Very sharp, light and easy to handle. Use that on my nano and on the large tank too. Very easy to cut mosses, foreground plants even stems.

The pinsette where the branded stuffs rocks really. they are very comfortable, precize, lightweight. My Do! pinsette is a pinhead. Which is the best for planting or replanting. Good to make fine movements pick floating leaves etc. Or pull out pieces from the moss easily.

Wider head pinsette is good for algae hunting, planting strong plants, cutting and handling long leaves like Echi or Narrow. But not good for planting small plants.
Pinhead is perfect for planting ad for precize movements, but plant anubias or other strong plant is not good because the pinhead cut the rizome and damage the plants.

Sill i vote for pinhead pinsette and a curved small scissor. :D

I use a set of surgeons scissors that a friend got for me, I use Aquatic magics tweesers and sand flatter too though I must admit the tweesers are terrible compared to the JBL and ADA ones I was lucky enough to have a feel of. They're just too bulky and the tips don't align.

The sand flatter I wouldn't use if I didn't already have it, it's pretty good for shifting small ammounts of soil but a hand is better still! :lol:

john starkey said:
I use ukaps set and Tgm pinsettes,

john
i use the pinsettes too, they are very beautifull to look at and use. i also use the tgm straight scissors which are very nice. :thumbup:

I use the 5-piece set once available from AE.
I mostly use the angled tweezers and the curved scissors for all the everyday maintenance and planting. The straight tweezers come in handy when replanting stems at the back of the tank. I use the straight scissors when handling plants out of water and very rarely use the spatula for anything. I find using your hands is a lot more intuitive, but it's probably just a case of getting used to handling them.
I could do with a pair of small curved scissors for trimming ground cover in my nano, though.

Oh, and probably also a comb for moss trimming... :lol:

Old thread I know, and not really on topic, but I just received my first aquascaping tools and had to share the news.
For some reason I just really liked this brand and had to get them, :crazy: (probably).
cheers ,tel
dsc7808.jpg

nice looking set tel. :thumbup:

I find that the most important tool is scissors. A rigid pair is vital...for me at least

1 x curved, long/straight and a pair of extremely sharp pair of kitchen scissors for huge stem trims.

saintly said:

I find that the most important tool is scissors. A rigid pair is vital...for me at least

1 x curved, long/straight and a pair of extremely sharp pair of kitchen scissors for huge stem trims.

Thanks Mark,

The scissors feel really good, very sturdy and quite balanced. I thought that with the length they might feel a bit front end heavy, instead they sit quite nice.

The tweezers are quite light which I am not sure whether that is good or bad, with delicate work the lightness may end up feeling really good.

As we go along I may invest in a couple more items :D
cheers,tel

tel said:
saintly said:

Thanks Mark,

The scissors feel really good, very sturdy and quite balanced. I thought that with the length they might feel a bit front end heavy, instead they sit quite nice.

The tweezers are quite light which I am not sure whether that is good or bad, with delicate work the lightness may end up feeling really good.

As we go along I may invest in a couple more items :D
cheers,tel

good stuff :thumbup: 2 things which you can try also from this brand. the wave one and the spring one.
they are the clone of the ADA tools not the equal material, but the price is less and still fine. wave is really wave you can see a couple photos as we've tested that here: http://akvarisztika.budapet.hu/2010/03/10/bekanyarollo/ (hungarian post sorry, but the photos are self explanatory).
the spring ones are helpful for moss forming especially if you have much on your woods.

however i feel these tools expensive. compare to the low range ADA tools (Do!Aqua brand). but they have many tools which you only find in the ADA sortiment.

Back