• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What are the best plants for Nano tanks?

InNi2010

Personally, I love Nano tanks (even though being quite controversial). Its basically a miniature replica of the larger planted ones, with smaller fish/ inverts and plants.
Out of curiosity, what are the best plants for Nano tanks?

Basically all the plants that stay small are "the best" for Nano tanks.

My personal favourites are:
  • small varieties of Bucephalandra
  • small varieties of Anubias such as Bonsai or Pangolino
  • Myriophillum Guyana
  • Rotalas from the Rotundifolia variety
  • Fissidens Fontanus moss
  • Eleocharis mini
  • Cryptocoryne Lutea "Hobbit"

I LOVE crypts, however in my area they are rare and kinda expensive. I have some Java moss that are doing fantastic!
Im thinking of scaping in a bowl ( don't worry no goldfish will be harmed in this build) so if I get the chance I'll use these. Any more plants?

Hi all,
  • small varieties of Bucephalandra
  • small varieties of Anubias
Those and <"Cryptocoryne x willisii">, <"Bolbitis heudelotii > & Limnobium laevigatum. You can use <"Ceratophyllum demersum "> as your fast growing stem "stem", it doesn't have any roots, so is easy to thin, or remove.

The same applies to the <"Amazon Frogbit">, easy to remove, but with a fast potential growth rate and you can use it for the <"Duckweed Index">.

cheers Darrel

If its a tiny jar type tank or one where you are going nearly no tech, suswassertang is good. If it's a more decorative aquascape with a bit of tech then mini pelia is a nice plant.

Marsilea hirsuta is also a nice little carpet plant that easy and gives a sense of scale with its tiny leaves.

I've tried duckweed but it almost instantly covers the top therefore not allowing for gaseous exchange.
Is there any other slow growing alternative?

I've tried duckweed but it almost instantly covers the top therefore not allowing for gaseous exchange.

The duckweed index is a useful tool for estimating plant health and fertiliser dosing, you can use other floating plants that are much easier to control like amazon frogbit, as Darrel suggests, but red root floater, water lettuce or another salvinia species like minima are good. All floating plants tend to take over because they have the best conditions for growth but these bigger species are easy to keep controlled, unlike duckweed.

Hi all,
I've tried duckweed but it almost instantly covers the top
That is actually a good thing, it just shows you <"have lots of nutrients">, but I agree Duckweed is a <"pita to get rid of">.
There is, <"Amazon Frogbit is my preferred "Duckweed">.
The duckweed index is a useful tool for estimating plant health and fertiliser dosing, you can use other floating plants that are much easier to control like amazon frogbit, as Darrel suggests, but red root floater, water lettuce or another salvinia species like minima are good. All floating plants tend to take over because they have the best conditions for growth but these bigger species are easy to keep controlled, unlike duckweed.
It was a shame I didn't call it the <"Frogbit Index">, but I'd already <"started writing about it"> before I swapped over from Duckweed (Lemna minor).

In <"terms of the job they do?"> Any of @mort 's suggestions will perform.

cheers Darrel

Back