• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What are these???

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
How do I get rid of them? They are in my shrimp only tank, at first I could see the odd one or two but now there are hundreds, they are not snails and swim about very fast.

pict0091tj6.jpg

pict0089gt4.jpg

They are very tiny, thats the Fissedens Fontanus moss.

Thanks

Ewwwww!!! Some sort of mite. Get a fish from another tank and see if it hoovers them up.

jay said:
Ewwwww!!! Some sort of mite. Get a fish from another tank and see if it hoovers them up.
Can't do that, fish will hoover up my shrimplets too lol

Tom said:
Are they not little snails?
Nope they swim about very fast, but there are lots of little snails in there too, but these little things I have no idea what they are!

They're Ostracods Paulo. Otherwise known as seed shrimp. At least they look like it in the photo.

Carphunter57 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daphnia
is it these fellas?
Looks very much like it!!! Are these harmfull in anyway? thanks

Ed Seeley said:
They're Ostracods Paulo. Otherwise known as seed shrimp. At least they look like it in the photo.
Thanks Ed, also very similar to these :bored: they seem to live well with the shrimp and leave them alone, just worried they will multiply beyond control, what if I had some Ottos, I heard that they are shrimp safe??

I had some in my tank, but they dissapeared... guessin' the fish sorted them out :)

LondonDragon said:
what if I had some Ottos, I heard that they are shrimp safe??

Ottos are shrimp safe, as they are vegetarians. Which also means they will probably not eat the Ostro wotsits either :(

Maybe get a really small fish like an ember tetra or dwarf rasbora just for the time being to see if they sort it out? I'm sure they're shrimp safe.

Ostracod :) Harmless-
I keep Boraras maculatus with RCS and never have observed them attacking the shrimplets.

Regards, Dusko

Back