• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What are these???

I will have to keep an eye on it, they are all over the fissedens at the moment so I might just grab it all off the substrate with a net and put it in the main tank, that will clear them out in no time I am sure hehe ;)

Thanks for the info everyone :)

They're completely harmless and are very good at surviving. Their eggs survive dessication so they6 can appear to spontaneously arrive in new tanks. I have them in little containers of moss and they must have been transferred somehow from one to another.

On shrimp safe fish that'd eat them; my Pseudomugil gertrudae and Biotoecus sp.'Tapajos' didn't seem to affect my shrimp population at all. However since adding Aphyosemion bivitattum 'Funge' killifish and Apistogramma agasizzi 'Double Red' I have seen a lot less shrimp! Mine are pretty small Rainbow shrimp though.

LondonDragon said:
I will have to keep an eye on it, they are all over the fissedens at the moment so I might just grab it all off the substrate with a net and put it in the main tank, that will clear them out in no time I am sure hehe ;)

Thanks for the info everyone :)

This made me chuckle...

First move the moss into the shrimp tank to clean the algae.
Then move it back to the main tank to remove the Ostrocods.

Brilliant thinking :idea:

Did you find out how to get rid of these guys!! I was watching them today having a laugh at them swimming around getting pushed around in the flow!! Do they eat plants that is the question??

Hi all,
As Ed says they are completely harmless, basically they are a "Daphnia in a shell". They are detrivores, feeding on dead organic matter and are very easy to culture (just in a jar with some dead plant leaves). I've found that my tetras and particularly Dwarf Cichlids really like them, and will hunt them down before starting on the Daphnia.
cheers Darrel

I have the same guys in my tank. I dont know what they are and how to get rid of them. I tried not feeding my tetras for a few days to see if they eat them but either they dont like them or there are just too many of the critters. I cant nuke the tank with some anti crustacean/invert treatment because I just discovered lots of little shrimplets in the tank a week ago and I dont want them to die :(

I think Ill wait till the shrimp are bigger, remove as many as I can and then add some copper sulphate. Would this harm neons or the plants in any way ?

Hi all,
Mortis if you want to reduce the number of them, just remove as much of the decaying plant material as possible, and their number will decline. Personally I wouldn't ever use a biocide like Copper in an aquarium, but that would kill them off.
Try and look at them as part of a healthy aquarium ecosystem, if you suddenly have lots of them, there is a reason.
cheers Darrel

I have these in my tank they dont bother the shrimp or the fish. they live under my hc along with tiny shrimp. i have harlequins and ottos in my tank with them and thredfin rainbows and ottos in my other tank and i have no problems with my shrimp population of CRS or Cherries in either tank.

Back