• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What biotope should I do?

What biotope should I do?

• Sri Lanka

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Gourami

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
So, for ages I've been wanting to set up a biotope of Sri Lanka, whith Crypts and maybe Aponogeton Crispus. Mainly because I love Crypts - they're my favourite plants and Cherry Barbs seem like pretty cool fish.I also love the idea of making a natural enviroment.

However, I am now also considering maybe doing a Gourami biotipe. I'm not sure what species of Gourami I would have yet, but it would be quite a small species bearing in mind the tank is only 35l. Most likely Sparking or Chocolate. I'll probably use short Crypts and some floating plants.

I won't be setting up the tank 'til th enew year, so plenty of time to think about it.

What d'ya think? ;)

Haha,I voted gourami.Am I very common? :lol: I'm a sucker for them,my bro's kept them for years.I may be about to reveal just how vulgar I am,but I love the moonlights and pearls,and some of the dwarves are stunning.

I think for the tank size the Sri-Lanken biotope would be better.

Yep, Sri Lanka for me. Chocolate gouramis grow to a decent size so sparkling / croaking gouramis could be done but as people have said it's been done before.

I really like cherry barbs (real shame they're extinct in the wild) and chequer barbs are very underrated IMO, although I don't know if they're Sri Lankan. :oops:

beeky said:
Yep, Sri Lanka for me. Chocolate gouramis grow to a decent size so sparkling / croaking gouramis could be done but as people have said it's been done before.

I think nearly everything's been 'done before'. Do what you like! :D

M

(EDIT: When I said 'Do what you like' I didn't mean it to come across as 'I don't care what you do', but 'do the thing that you like, without worrying if it's been done before'. Just enjoy your tank.)

Very true. Just some more than others.

I find it very difficult to find information on doing biotopes, there's very little information on the kind of habitats fish and plants come from. Anubias come from Africa, everyone knows that, but Africa is quite a big place!

I've been researching Sri Lanka, Cherry Barbs, habitat, Crypts, everything for ages. Not so much Gourami biotopes though, because that's just a new idea.

^ I'll take a look at them, thanks. Only problem is, all of the fish shops I've ever been to only ever seen to stock the 'bread and butter' Gouramis, I've never even seen Sparkling or Chocolates in the flesh.

Where do you live Thomas? I have 4 sparkling/croaking gouramis I need to re-home. I was going to move them to another tank, but if you wanted them you'd be welcome to them if you decided to go for gouramis :) (I'm in Coventry, west mids)

Thanks Jo, but Wildwoods is just up the road from me. :lol:

Steve - Enfield... A bit too far I would think. Thanks anyway. :)

Back