• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

what can i have in a 15L nano

Nick16

hi, as in the title really, thinking of getting a nano. but apart from shrimp are there any fish i can keep in there or is it too small?

something like ember tetras or micro rasboras?

Garuf

I wouldn't personally keep embers or lamp eyes ( I have both) in such a small tank. The tiniest thing you can get your hands on really, I'd say the ozyias george used or shrimp. Not all nano fish are suitable for nano tanks!

Nick16

i could use my 38L tank which has a couple of WCMM in, id obviously get better lighting but that is a better size imo. what filter can i get? i have a fluval 2+ in there but it dominates the tank, but i dont really want an external as they are not cheap. TT EX externals are around £40 for the littler ones. are there any HOBs that are big enough?

Garuf

I'd say £40 is a bargain for a filter. Even Hobs would be similar in price say £10 less at the most.

Nick16

Garuf

The first filter is 2000lph. That'd be some massive turnover!
The second is an eden clone, I have the real deal and would like something like a tetra tec for my tank, which is only an 11" cube.

Nick16

no the 2000lph one would go with a TT ex1200 for my 240L tank. so id have plenty of turn over.

thats it, eden, i just couldnt remember the name. well the fluval 2+ says 400lph (i know its not actually putting that out) so if i got an external i would need something around the 500lph mark i think.

Garuf

Get a tetratec or a hydor, either would be suitable and cheap.
2000lph sounds good to me though. Pretty cheap too and with a uv steraliser?!

Nick16

so you think it may be worth me getting one of them? the 2000lphs? i will eventually have 2 externals on the 240L tank but i will only have one until i get more money so i think i will start with that.

Ed Seeley

Nick16 said:
hi, as in the title really, thinking of getting a nano. but apart from shrimp are there any fish i can keep in there or is it too small?

something like ember tetras or micro rasboras?

IMHO lampeyes are too active for such a small tank. You could keep a pair, or trio (1m, 2+Fs) of more sedate killies such as Aphyosemion spp. as long as the tank is well covered as they will jump out the tinest gap.

Nick16

hmm, looks like its a shrimp tank then, as i plan on it being open top due to the lighting.

Nick16

yeah, im tempted but last time i managed to poison them somehow by dosing about 2ml of easy carbo in a 40 litre tank? i dont understand?

so when i convert the tank to more of a planted set up by upping the lighting i cant decide whether to get pressurised co2 or try using easycarbo again but im fearful that i might kill them again. im still baffled to this day.

Nick16

i dosed about 2ml every two or three days after the W/C. well i will try again. its TPN safe for shrimp?