• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

what co2 system for tank of about 40 litres

Nick16

as in the title what do you guys use? i dont want to pay out for a massive FE and solenoid reg etc as that will get to about £90. what small systems are out there that are cheap and decent! thanks.

I've run 40l tanks with a Hagen yeast based system and they did fine - not terribly high light (28 watts T8 over a 40l tank). If you have a lot more light than that you ay need to look at a pressurised system. I currently have a 40l tank with a 12 inch of Interpet PC light over it (can't remember wattage, but more than 28) over it, which is now using the hagen system - seems to be doing ok (too well actually - it's the tank I keep odd bits of plants that I don't want in my tank but think I might want some time in the future - needs massive prunes every 10 days).

If you're prepared to keep an eye on it and change it when it needs it then it's the cheapest system you can get. Although, over many years, a pressurised system might be cheaper. With Sainsbury fast acting yeast and a bit of bicarb I find I can get 4 weeks of CO2 out of it, so not too onerous.

Mark

i have tried the plastic 2L coke bottle and it is really awful tbh. have you got a link to the hagen one as i might have a look into it. cheers.

To be perfect honest Nick, now that I have pressurised CO2, I won't do anything else. I'm looking for splitters with different needle valves for future projects once I move house so that I can have all the CO2 tanks together.

Could you not go that way, if you already have a fit ?

Sounds like a fish room on the way, eh ?

another quick Q, do you have to keep buying the tablet thingys or did you just use the bicarb and sugar technique once they run out?

can i take the ladder off and put a diffuser on as they are much better looking.

altaaffe said:
To be perfect honest Nick, now that I have pressurised CO2, I won't do anything else. I'm looking for splitters with different needle valves for future projects once I move house so that I can have all the CO2 tanks together.

Sounds like a fish room on the way, eh ?
this tank will be up and the tank with FE will be downstairs unfortunately. i would buy an second FE but then i have to get the reg and soleniod which costs alot and if i am going to see the 120L thats next to the 40L there is no point i might as well use a cheap way as the co2 set will cost more than the whole tank, all the equipment, fish and plants.

Back