• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What could I plant in a 20 litre bottle that would almost never need trimming?

Hyoscine

It was an impractical but just too alluring eBay thing; some lab glass that's basically the size and shape of an office water cooler bottle. It has a radius of about 30cm, rounds off at around 40-45cm high, and I can just get my hand and wrist through the neck. I'm hoping to scape and plant it with tongs (wish me luck), but I don't think I could deal with unwanted runners, or trimming anything that isn't bursting out of the top. I was thinking a few crypts maybe, but my experience is that they seem to grow to different heights in different tanks, so that might be kind of a gamble? I like the idea of slow growing plants though, as whatever scape I manage is pretty much locked in. It's gonna be low tech, and low lighting, just so I don't have to worry too much about algae. But yeah, any suggestions would be gratefully received. Cheers!

lab glass that's basically the size and shape of an office water cooler bottle

I think that we have all bought alluring stuff and I wish you well with your project. I would be temped to consider the truly small types of Anubis and Bucephalandra but how you really get what you want I do not know. Find another human with very small hands but long arms to help you just in case the micros and petites turn out to be standard sizes. Could make a good journal.

Thank you both! I'm starting to lean towards a buce only scape, but it's a few weeks till payday now, so I'm sure I'll change my mind a few times before then. The small-handed helper idea is a great one, btw. My seven year old loves her shrimp tank, it's about time she got her hands wet!

I hadn't thought about a journal, but I guess it could be interesting whether things go to plan or not... I'll take a few photos as I cram the hardscape in.

Back