• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What critters do you have in your tank(s)?

What critters do you have in your tank(s)?

• Trumpet Snails

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Apple Snails

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Nerite Snails

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Ramshorn Snail

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Pest Snails (not mentioned above)

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Amano Shrimp

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • Cherry Shrimp

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • Crystal Red Shrimp

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Freshwater Clams Mussels

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Don't forget to let us know what!)

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
Thanks for the heads up. I read on Planet Inverts the conditions needed to keep them. Fortunatly my tap water is spot on for them. Hard water and a ph of no less than 7.0. Most hobbyists set their Sulawesi tanks with a ph oh 8.0. Also the temperature should be atleast 78F. They have a tank to themselves (52litre) equipped with a sponge filter and also a fluval 2plus for a bit more filtration (intakes might be covered with nylon stocking).

thebullit said:
They are cool! Ping pong ball size you say, so similar to apple snails.

Wolfenrook said:
Egmel, I hope I manage it to. One of my aims is to lower the cost a bit of some of the so called 'exotic' species, as many of them are expensive solely because of their been imported rather than been bred in this country. Kind of like the guy who was recently selling 10 snowball shrimp on ebay for £100! Snowballs are as easy to keep and breed as cherry shrimp, and I already have quite a few baby ones walking around in my shrimp tank. :lol: I wont (initially) be selling them as cheaply as cherry shrimp, but I will be selling them for a fair bit less than the cheapest I have seen them go for over here. Once I have funded more tanks and shrimp purchases I will probably reduce their prices even further. Of course at the moment they are teeny tiny babies (no way am I selling the adults), so still a way off before any of this happens. One of the reasons I set up UKShrimp was to try to get more shrimp hobbyists to do the same, and to allow the sharing of species to spread the breeder base so to speak.
Well I shall bear this in mind and when I have my next tank set up maybe it'll be with snowballs instead of cherries :)
Wolfenrook said:
Sounds like you have water similar to mine, which is one of the reasons I currently stay away from bee shrimp and the like. :)
I thought most shrimp liked hard water so they can build their shells, from this I'm guessing I was wrong, do bee shrimps like softer water then? How do they build/maintain their shells?

Bee shrimp (including CRS) have a preference for water on the soft slightly acidic side rather than hard and alkaline. This is just a preference for them, and folks have managed to keep them in harder water. Most dwarf species however do prefer slightly harder water, or water that is soft but slightly alkaline in pH. There is a fair bit of variation between the conditions that different shrimp prefer. In soft water supplementing their diet with something that provides calcium is naturally more import for species that prefer these conditions.

Ade

yer there like the size of apple snails. thats all. these guys give live bearth and have a gestation period of nine months like woman. you would be looking at about 15 babies max per year from these guys. i was lucky a few days after i bought these i ended up with 13 babies. :D

Back