• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What do ya think???

brokeLad

42EDA925-6E64-40A5-A2F4-AD0BE3DC836B.jpeg

hi,

I’m setting up my first tank 120L, first attempt below...what do you think???

Honestly though. It's a great first attempt. The wood needs to line up. Your geometry on the rocks forms a very good triangular shape. So do the smaller bits of wood. 2/3. It just seems that the large wood is about 2cm too high unless your create a hook on the other side of the tank. This might help if you wanted to reclaim the openness or you had something special to showcase.
The reflection of the tall piece is ideal. Very nifty. In fact, your reflections almost look perfect.

Last edited:
Another thing - push the dimensions forwards with some nicely graded gravel in front of the rocks possibly on the left.

erm...theres a space man in the scape! Thanks for the advice, when you say a 'hook on the other side of the tank" are you suggesting another taller rock or wood to the far right? I like the idea of the graded gravel to the left, I've got a bag of pea shingle in the garden I could carefully select from there.

thanks again for your input

Most welcome my friend.
I thought you might appreciate being cheered up.
I put him and proportioned him where you 'could' add a feature.

Here is the full explanation:
Hooks - I've put them in blue in the picture below. They are both primary focal points. Incidentally, they curve and draw your eye inwards, and any height issue of the big wood goes away.
I've drawn the rock triangles/geometry in red, and the wood geometry in green. Both appear to work as they are.
Your first focal point (FP1) is naturally at the end of the triangles, on the right where I put the little blue hook. I have show how the eye flows up to this focal point in purple.
You can see how the gravel (in orange) will accentuate your design, by flowing into FP1 and taking your eye straight to this area first. If you want this.
The second focal point is far smarter. You've actually got a hidden image in the reflection as your eye chases up towards the tall blue hook. It will be a purely subconscious thing but if you can keep this, it will trick the mind. I've drawn the flow up to FP2 (the big blue hook) to show you just how dramatic your scape already is.
You are 95% there. You just need some gravel and something where I put Neil Armstrong... In my humble opinion. You've done so well that planting will be easy.

Keep retweeting this post. You deserve better help than just me.
Brokelads tank.jpg

I also said that you could push it right. Basically imagine keeping the blue hooks (wood) and grading plants down gently, further towards the right to the point at which the long orange and long green lines would meet. This second option would give you a far wider vista.

Wow 121 tutorial! Your generous with your knowledge and time and it’s appreciated!

I’ll have time tonight to work on it some more,

I would cover the butterflies from the level of the tank light downwards. Probably with black paper to match the back of the tank.

That’s a good idea, I’ll check out others before I commit, I’ve jumped the gun and planted the tank now as I was worried my plants were dying in storage. Quite anxious filling the tank for 1st time.....praying it held out! All good so far....I might have to move plants for aesthetics but I’m happy to get them in, get the heater on, get the filter on.
its 140l tank and so far I’m:
1 pump of Tropica premium nutrition a day
2.5ml of Easycarb a day
8 hrs of light
Approx temp is 21oC

one question I wanted to ask is would it be cool to turn my filter off over night while I don’t have any fish. Cheers

I would have started planting too. Turning your filter off over night will reduce the oxygen getting to your plants and this is commonly thought to cause algae. It would also reduce nutrient distribution at night and it would probably also hamper beneficial bacteria living in your filter. Another thing to consider: your fertilizer does not contain nitrogen or phosphate. I'll have to let you mull that one over because I'm heading off for a bit. If your not sure then ask Darrel @dw1305 about fertilizers. I have always found his views to be my own. Great to hear about the progress. Exciting times.

Back