• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What do you do with your fish?

mattb180

What do you do with your fish when you have finished with a certain scape or have a desire to try a new species?

Do you sell them? Give them to a LFS?

Interested to see the usual trend given that some people have a quick turnover in terms of tanks and scapes!

Flush 'em, every time, with the full honors of a burial at sea...:bored:
...Not...They end up in retirement, in my low-energy tank, where they live out their natural lives in clover...
It's a mixed bag but, actually it's my happiest tank:)

Hi all,
My fish are my pets. I look after them until they die, not until I'm bored with them.The question is, what does everyone do with their dead fish?
Same as Sacha, although it means I have a few singletons, or small groups of fish, that didn't work out for me.

I try and breed fish where there is a demand for them, but I don't post them, and they only go to LFS that keep their fish well, even if this means that I don't get any money for them. Even fish that sell for relatively large amounts in the LFS may be difficult to sell if there isn't a local demand for them, or they don't look very attractive as juveniles (I ended up giving away a lot of Apistogramma trifasciata).

At the moment I have a lone Norman's Lampeye (tried it as a dither, but they bred fairly rapidly, chased the Apistogramma fry and there wasn't really a market for them locally as they cost pennies at the LFS), a L333 (came with some L129 fry) and a L129. I'm trying to re-home the Hypancistrus, but failed dithers, old Apistogramma etc I just keep until they eventually die.

When I have a fatality I usually put it on the shed roof and the birds eat it, although I bury dead cichlids in the garden.

cheers Darrel

I'm lucky enough to live very near a pond, so my fish all get a "burial at sea". That pond is full of life! Lots of Koi, a few turtles, a heron...

Back