• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What do you keep in your 300 litre tanks???

My planted tank used to hold four African knifefish, two ropefish two sengal bichirs and a Syno eupterus. Was quite an interesting tank! Unfortunately lost many of them to several different things lately :(

I have in my 'jungle' tank. Cardinal tetras cause they contrast good to nearly anything. Honey gouramis because the horizontal coloring fits nice with the tetras. Corydora sterbai as bottom dwellers cause I think they are the most beautiful of all Cory's :) a couple of apisto beanchi inka. And the usual clean up crew..

Thanks. I'll have to see what the beanchi inka look like. Cardinals and sterbai are a must though. I like them too

My planted tank used to hold four African knifefish, two ropefish two sengal bichirs and a Syno eupterus. Was quite an interesting tank! Unfortunately lost many of them to several different things lately :(
Ah no way. Sorry to hear. Its horrible when that happens. Hope your on top of your tank now and have lost no more fish

I'll have to see what the beanchi inka look like.
Those are F1 from my wild caught Apistogramma Baenschi:
1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg

You need to choose what you like but I think it's ideas an inspiration you're after. I think a lot depends how you're going to plant your aquarium to what you choose.
My opinion is I think it's nice to fill the aquarium almost in layers so you have species that dwell around the bottom, others that swim mid-water or just everywhere and also some that lurk around the surface.
Not a suggestion of what to fill the tank with but inspiration maybe?
Base can be taken up by allsorts, simple fish such as dwarf ottos and shrimp can be enough depending on plants and other inhabitants.
Mid-water I think some colour is always nice; carinal tetras, rummynose tetras, lambchop rasbora and anything with a bit of colour that you like and a tendency to shoal can look good in my opinion - Dwarf Gourami can look interesting as can something like hockeystick pencilfish (or even headstandards) with the way they are always at an angle take interest but can end up too silver.
For the surface I think fish such as the Marbled Hatchetfish (jumpers!) look nice.

This is all just some ideas about layering and not much more, it's something I learnt by accident but now know is quite common.

You need to choose what you like but I think it's ideas an inspiration you're after. I think a lot depends how you're going to plant your aquarium to what you choose.
My opinion is I think it's nice to fill the aquarium almost in layers so you have species that dwell around the bottom, others that swim mid-water or just everywhere and also some that lurk around the surface.
Not a suggestion of what to fill the tank with but inspiration maybe?
Base can be taken up by allsorts, simple fish such as dwarf ottos and shrimp can be enough depending on plants and other inhabitants.
Mid-water I think some colour is always nice; carinal tetras, rummynose tetras, lambchop rasbora and anything with a bit of colour that you like and a tendency to shoal can look good in my opinion - Dwarf Gourami can look interesting as can something like hockeystick pencilfish (or even headstandards) with the way they are always at an angle take interest but can end up too silver.
For the surface I think fish such as the Marbled Hatchetfish (jumpers!) look nice.

This is all just some ideas about layering and not much more, it's something I learnt by accident but now know is quite common.
I think you've nailed it on the head bud. I like the idea of layering the tank. And I also like all the fish you suggested too. I dont know what the surface fish are you mentioned but I can Google them to see what they look like

I dont know what the surface fish are you mentioned but I can Google them to see what they look like
I'd have a look at them first to see if you do as there are other options out there, these are just ones that personally I like. They do jump though so either mesh screen or cover is my suggestion, at least when you first add them. There's countless species out there if this is an idea you're looking to explore.

I'd have a look at them first to see if you do as there are other options out there, these are just ones that personally I like. They do jump though so either mesh screen or cover is my suggestion, at least when you first add them. There's countless species out there if this is an idea you're looking to explore.
Thanks bud. I have glass sliders so that'll keep the kamikazies in the tank :lol: I suppose it's just knowing what fish can go with others without them being eaten up. Lol

I suppose it's just knowing what fish can go with others without them being eaten up
Have a look through Google/pinterest and threads on here, I'm sure you will find some examples of community/schooling/shoaling aquarium examples along with some compatibility charts or searches. Remember there's already been a load of suggestions so look through threads on here too for ready made examples you can play with.
There's probably one or two species you'd really like so I'd start with those and work around them if you can (assuming they go together) - it maybe about compromise.
You will get different answers from different people and bare in mind that not all species will be readily available in the UK, at least not for a sensible price.
Most LFS will order in for you if they can get them but worth asking a couple for the price as from experience has it varied greatly.
You might also find they will help you 'design' your inhabitants but juts take it away to have a think on it and do your own research or ask on here, many people will have experience although that does not mean their answers will be correct either so it's a case of taking as much information as you can and applying your own logic in my opinion.

Back