• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What dry fish food do you use?

Just going back on Darrel's recommendation to me.I'm having a problem finding who you recommended to me!
Was the link in your reply supposed to put me on to something 'cos I cant find anything from the link!
Thanks in anticipation

Ah! apologies Darrell I've just read your post again and see it's not a link to a recommendation!
Doh! Silly me!!

I use Tetra Prima on larger fish and i'm sure it enhances the colour. I've recently started using Wild Discus food from CE Fish Essentials after seeing them at Aquatics Live, they simply love it, as do the tetras which inhabit the same tank.

Same guy i was looking at thanks.
Time to put an order together!
Cheers for the reply

I get mine from Fins-R-Us Ltd.
My Bullnose Plec ignores anything else I try but goes mental for their algae wafers.
The downside to this though is he uproots the foreground in the process. :rage:

Google TA aquaculture. All my food comes from there. Look at the red granular feed for sinking food and any of the flakes offered. Well worth ordering a decent amount and then just store it in the fridge in an air tight bag and it will keep fresh for ages.
Holy moly! Got 3x150g, didn't realised it'd be so much! I have liberated some screw top, air tight containers ( conveniently the same size as 150g bag) from work. How long will the flake keep in the bags+containers in the fridge for do you reckon?

I've kept food for 2 years plus and have fish doing well and breeding being fed it today! I'm getting through a lot more food with 60 growing mbuna than ever before though and will be ordering some more soon. I'll order around 10 bags again i reckon.

I seal the bags up in the fridge and then refill old small flake tubs every couple of weeks so it doesn't get exposed to heat, moisture and fresh air for too long.

I use Tetramin flakes most days along with some colour enhancing flake. I also feed frozen bloodworm, brine shrimp and daphnia twice a week.

Hi all,
How long will the flake keep in the bags+containers in the fridge for do you reckon?
It will loose nutrients slowly even in the fridge. I usually throw all my old away every 12 months (and I usually throw away most of it), but that was just an arbitrary date. It would last longer in the freezer, potentially almost indefinitely.

cheers Darrel

Tim from TA got back to me and said 12 months in the fridge. I too, am decanting into a small tub for my "in use" food.

Do you think freezing would be ok Darrel?

Hi all,
Do you think freezing would be ok Darrel?
Yes, the food will still lose some nutrients, but at a much slower rate than it would at room temperature. You need to seal it in a zip lock bag or container and make sure it is really dry when it goes in the freezer. It is no different to freezing any other food.

cheers Darrel

Also remove as much air from the bag when storing.

There is a great supplier in the USA who makes high quality fish food. I think its called Ed's.

I have not used him yet, but breeders over there seem to rate him highly, the food is a bit more expensive. Also was not sure about customs overhere, but I did contact him last year and he said the at he does have customers overhere and there have not been any issues yet.

Yes, I've had my eye on Ed's too; looks like nice food, but I cannot see how much he charges for shipping.

Bah I cant open up another email page at the moment.
However, I remember you have to select First Class International Shipping. I think you have write that in the message box as it was not a default option. He told me that the cost for orders sent to the UK were in th $12-$20 range. It would ofcourse vary on what you order.

For anyone interested I think the site is called: "Almost Natural Tropical Fish Food" . I would post a link, but cant seem to acces another page at the moment.

Back