• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

what else am i gonna need??

soton_dave

just got a Rena panorama 100(bow fronted i know:( but the missus liked it and it was a bargain price)
its got 2 25 watt T8's but i could easily fit another 2 in if needed
fluval 205 i know im gonna need more flow so will get another canister to run alongside it when funds allow
jbl co2 with solinoid and reactor?
bog wood

next thing on the list is substrate but im really not sure what i want/need,want a dark sub because im gonna be getting congo tetras whens its all run in and mature and want to try and grow a nice carpet of hc? but want to keep an open area of the sub to contrast with the plants.
what sort of depth sub should i aim for or it that a personal thing?
any recomendations on a sub that wont break the bank?

the first plants that will be going in will be java moss on the bogwood wont be setting up the co2 till i get the circulation sorted out(or will it still be a benifit or just a waste of co2?),will the moss be ok with the lighting/circulation that i will be using initially(just wanna get the tank set up)

is there such a thing as an off the shelf all in one fert that would be ok till i get my head around the whole fert thing?

so the main things i need to know are
how much aditional lighting do i need,if any?
what filter should i get to run alongside the 205?
what sub/depth should i aim for,budget about £50-£60?
is it worth instaling the co2 yet?
will the moss grow/establish with the current set up?
what off the shelf ferts?or are they not worth it

sorry for all the questions but ive been through loads of posts and there all about individual setups,im trying to take in as much as i can but alot of it is still over my head although i think its starting to make sence...lol

thanks in advance dave

soton_dave said:
how much aditional lighting do i need,if any?
- i think the lighting will be adiquite if its balanced with the co2. however i dont know if the intensity will be strong enough to be adiquite for the HC. (ceg will know about that one :lol: )
soton_dave said:
what sub/depth should i aim for,budget about £50-£60?
-if you want dark substrate thats will grow HC well 'ADA aquasoil' sounds good to me. the darkness of it will give you the costrast you are looking for and the price of it to fill your tank will be within buget. and if you want to bulk it up and add volume to it putting somthing like JBL aquabasis plus is good(i do that).a good deepth is 2-3cm at front sloping to 7-10at the back. (you can do what ever depth you want at the back but HC at the front will grow good in 2-3cm.)oh and the smaller aquasoil size will be better for the roots of HC.

soton_dave said:
is it worth instaling the co2 yet?
-yes! the co2 will help lots, if your worried about the co2 not being dispersed properly put the difuser below the intake or outlet of your filter and try and aim that at the HC or moss as these plants need good flow. you could buy a circulation pump instead of a extra filter to help the flow which would be cheaper. i recomend a Hydor Koralia 1 or Hydor Koralia nano.

soton_dave said:
will the moss grow/establish with the current set up?
- i think the moss would grow only if it grows faster than the algae around it.-in my 60l low tec-(no co2, no special substrate,no ferts,)just a single 60cm t8 i have grown java moss-just but when i slacked a bit the algae grew faster and just incased it.

soton_dave said:
what off the shelf ferts?or are they not worth it-"is there such a thing as an off the shelf all in one fert that would be ok till i get my head around the whole fert thing?"
i asked in a thread i made"does any one know a liquid fertilizer that has all the good stuff in it ;) ...im the sort of person who dosent want loads of bottles in my fish tank cabinet with different dosing quantitys and measurments that could be so easily messed up. :bored:
im just looking for a good bottle of liquid fertilizer that has nearly every thing you would want in it?" and got "Tropica Plant Nutrition Plus (TPN+)" in return but they also said it would be epencive to dose in a big tank. i am like you-i have read and read about EI but i still dont get it.
but back to your question-Tropica Plant Nutrition Plus (TPN+) i guess :?
i also got a link to this-http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/allinone.htm-explaining EI, prehaps you have read it.

hope this helps dave :lol:

Back