What filter should I get?

Discussion in 'Filters, Filtration and Pumps' started by Sandra, 22 Mar 2008.

1. Sandra

Sandra Newly Registered

I recently bought a second hand set up
    212 l tank, came with co2, lights, substrate heater and normal heater. Also came with a eheim external filter but it is only rated 100l so I added that to my 142 l turtle tank to upgrade their internal.

So my question is what external filter would you recommend for a planted tank?
    I'm not going down the co2 road yet, I want to see how well I can do without it.

2. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

My 4ft should be around 200-250lt, So I'll be in this situation soon. I've got an existing eheim 2222, which I will switch over. I'm thinking I'll probably then add a tetratec 1200, as that will give me a quoted 1500lph total, which even if they don't achieve that level should be enough. I might eventually swap the 2222 for a second 1200 if and when money allows, but will see.

Sam

3. Sandra

Sandra Newly Registered

im sorry, you have completely lost me here LOL.

So what rating filter should I have for a 212l tank?

4. Garuf

Garuf Member

times that number by 10 and buy the filter with the nearest ammount of turnover, 60l x 10 = 600 therefore you want a filter with a turnover of 600lph for example a eheim 2217 or a tetra tec ex700

5. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Hi,
    Ideally, multiply your tank size by 10 and do the best you can to achieve that within the limits of your budget. for a 200 L tank that means 2000lph. A Fluval FX5 or an Eheim 2080 would do nicely.

Cheers,

6. Sandra

Sandra Newly Registered

lovely thank you so much.