• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What filter would I need for the Aquascaper 900 tank?

Yes get the make your own mistakes thing. However if I suggested buying a £250 filter and no one mentioned that it wouldn’t fit my expensive glassware I’d be a bit p’d off.

To be fair it was mentioned a couple of times earlier on but I thought I’d reiterate it! :)

Sorry off topic, but are there pictures of that somewhere? Sounds awesome.

As for photos, occasionally I snap an iPhone pic but the reflections drive me crazy - as does the iPhone camera which struggles with color rendition ... I keep meaning to get my other camera repaired

The biggest issue is that I’m not patient (motivated?) enough to bother :oops: :oops: :oops:
:sorry:

And I look at the tank & see all its flaws :wideyed:
- my tanks end up designed around my fish so the scape is nothing amazing

Just to chip in, I have an Aquascaper 900 with a Biomaster 600. I removed one of the blue sponges and threw some Purigen in there. Recently I added a Koralia Nano 1600 power-head.

Flow seems perfect with this setup so far.

Hi all.
I want to thank everyone for all the feedback.
As I try to assimilate all this information I can see that thought the mountain is high, there is more than one path to the summit.
I have decided to explore each path on this journey and add a second Oase 600 Thermo filter to the system.
This will allow me to experiment with different flow rates and patterns until I find the sweet spot that works for me.
It also alleviates my concerns over the X10 question until I am confident in my own abilities to maintain the system at an optimal level.
If on this journey I eventually achieve a form Zen understanding and competence to run the system with the single filter I will then have a spare mature filter ready to add to another tank and explore a different biotope :)

Wont do after I’ve taken my scissors to them today! :lol:
:D

You just need to go way back to Takashi Amano (before he was Mr ADA) method of trimming - never more than 1/3 of the stems etc at any one time, staggered through the planting so that just shorn look is never seen ;)

Takes more time & practise (I suspect) but he showed photos of just trimmed tanks that still looked amazing - this article was posted online on Vectrapoint (along with other Nature Aquarium photo gallery & informational articles), which remained available as an archive until it suddenly disappeared :(

add a second Oase 600 Thermo filter to the system.
I know, I know, I should just stop ;)
but unless the room is very cold, just the basic 600 will do (spend the saved £ on plants)
Confirm with Dave, but I believe every OASE Biomaster has the option to add a heater so you can easily do so later if needed

I know, I know, I should just stop ;)
but unless the room is very cold, just the basic 600 will do (spend the saved £ on plants)
Confirm with Dave, but I believe every OASE Biomaster has the option to add a heater so you can easily do so later if needed
Order placed for the Thermo already :)
Plus if the heater fails on one then I have an immediate backup :thumbup:

Bloody hell, you don’t do things by half do you? :)

Sounds a good plan, I’ve seen people use 2 X oase biomaster thermo 350 on the AS900.
2 X 600’s gives you loads of wiggle room, redundancy and you have a filter for a second tank in future.......!

I think you were right with the thermo version. If you can afford it the price difference isn’t very little and will give you a second heater in case of breakage etc.

Ps. Yes every oase biomaster does have the option to add a heater in the future but doing so works out more expensive than buying the thermo version initially.

Pps. I’ll post a pic of my 900 in a min. Only been planted 2 weeks so not looking great at the moment.....

Pic attached.

Attachments

• DCE6173D-01B1-4CFF-A685-A25B8E462A54.jpeg
    DCE6173D-01B1-4CFF-A685-A25B8E462A54.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 207
Bloody hell, you don’t do things by half do you? :)

Sounds a good plan, I’ve seen people use 2 X oase biomaster thermo 350 on the AS900.
2 X 600’s gives you loads of wiggle room, redundancy and you have a filter for a second tank in future.......!

I think you were right with the thermo version. If you can afford it the price difference isn’t very little and will give you a second heater in case of breakage etc.

Ps. Yes every oase biomaster does have the option to add a heater in the future but doing so works out more expensive than buying the thermo version initially.

Pps. I’ll post a pic of my 900 in a min. Only been planted 2 weeks so not looking great at the moment.....
Cheers Siege.
I tried to absorb all the info posted plus many other articles I have read over the last few days. It was a bit of a stretch on the finances but I wanted to cover as many angles as possible and provide for an additional tank in the future.
I also took into account pipework size and the readily available supply of glassware etc for the 16/22 pipe diameter.
I'm settled now and can move on to thinking about the scape and plants. I am currently soaking all the Riverwood and as soon as it has lost its buoyancy I can get cracking on putting everything together.
BTW.. The Aquascaper 900 tank arrived today. Really pleased with its build quality and clarity :thumbup:

Inspired by FO?
:cool:

Sort of, I like to think the cheeky git read my mind though....! :lol:

I had the plan in my mind and bought my hardscape a month before he did the tank at AG. I was going to use the mountain of fossilised wood stone I have in the garage though. Saw his use of grey mountain rock/elephant skin stone, liked it so changed to that.

Nicked a couple of his planting ideas I must confess.......!

I only got to see the odd bit and bob of the workshop, but must say really loved the guy and his skill is out of this world.

I bet he did :D

Though I think it was actually Dave that got things going - maybe you talked while you were working ;) - I believe FO mentions that Dave requested
triangular
stone (specific)
wood (specific)

must say really loved the guy and his skill is out of this world.
my feelings exactly

I was expecting him to say he’d been Aquascaping alll his life, but he started around 10 years ago for stress relief
(he owned?/managed an IT company)

re the Twinstar
- should you accidentally forget to adjust your CO2 down, it will save fish lives!
:oops: :oops: :oops:
:sorry:

Of course I took mine apart to clean a while back & have yet to reinstall :rolleyes:
Which may be a lucky coincidence as the local distributor is no longer carrying this & it will cost me excessive amounts of postage to obtain a new membrane
I’ve a new 60P :D

Inspired by FO?
:cool:
I bet he did :D

Though I think it was actually Dave that got things going - maybe you talked while you were working ;) - I believe FO mentions that Dave requested
triangular
stone (specific)
wood (specific)
)

I know the triangular bit because we discussed it. Didnt know about the choice of stone though.

I help Dave out a couple of days a week. Suits me at the mo, I learn from him and George whilst getting paid for it. Better than what I normally do! Money not as good though!

Back