• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What fish for my 60P tank

Richard40

Hi all, considering what fish to get for my tank once it’s planted and cycled. Hardscape is in now, just got to wait for plants to be delivered this coming week.

Initial thoughts were 15-20 Celestial Pearl Danios, but heard can be quite shy and you need 1 Male to every 3 females and the males have much better colouring. Also, that the flow needs to be fairly low.

Other thoughts are Cardinal Tetras, Glowlight tetras....

Thought I’d ask for any recommendations. Fire away

you need 1 Male to every 3 females
:confused:
these aren't guppies where males constantly harass females ... if you want to optimize breeding it is recommended to have a single male and 2-3 females, as 2 males will often be distracted - sparring and displaying - when they should be wooing ;)

Have you watched Green Aqua’s recent video - some nice fish observations (in the latter part)

:confused:
these aren't guppies where males constantly harass females ... if you want to optimize breeding it is recommended to have a single male and 2-3 females, as 2 males will often be distracted - sparring and displaying - when they should be wooing ;)

I found the males to be quite boisterous and you definitely need a higher ratio of males to females. They're at real risk of stress and disease in the wrong ratio setups too - just my experience.

I created a list of fishes to their recommended sizes, I didn't clean up the code too much so there are some errors - I will clean this up in the future :)

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/fishes-recommended-size-tank.51944/

Did you mean a higher ratio of females to males?

Considering 15 x Celestial pearl danio and 15 Emerald Dwarf Danio. On latest Green Aqua video above he's got 20 together in his 45P.

Long fin white cloud mountain minnows

I added them to my 50cm cube and they're great. Good colour, active, display to each other, easy to keep, haven't touched my shrimp (even the tiny ones) and they're cheap

I see you in Manchester. I got mine from Pier Aquatics in Wigan. They had loads pre lockdown so should have plenty left now

Did you mean a higher ratio of females to males?

Considering 15 x Celestial pearl danio and 15 Emerald Dwarf Danio. On latest Green Aqua video above he's got 20 together in his 45P.

I did! 45cm is too small imo for a community tank, even for two nano fish. I'm one who preaches large tanks for small fish though - unless you're trying to breed.

Long fin white cloud mountain minnows

I added them to my 50cm cube and they're great. Good colour, active, display to each other, easy to keep, haven't touched my shrimp (even the tiny ones) and they're cheap

I see you in Manchester. I got mine from Pier Aquatics in Wigan. They had loads pre lockdown so should have plenty left now
Yes I quite often go there as they have really good stock. Might take a trip up there in a few weeks. Might help me make my mind up, as at the moment is swaying towards a mixture of celestial Pearl danios and Emerald dwarf danios.

Yes I quite often go there as they have really good stock. Might take a trip up there in a few weeks. Might help me make my mind up, as at the moment is swaying towards a mixture of celestial Pearl danios and Emerald dwarf danios.

I've got both in my 200 litre tank, 20 CPDs and 10 Emerald Line. Lovely fish but they do like to hide and enjoy being in the plants

Little worried about that, but it’s only 60 litres so maybe they might come out more. Did see someone mention to get a few fish that are more confident to allow them to see it’s ok!

I might consider 10 Lambchop rasbora which will shoal nicely at the front, giving the Emerald x 10 and Celestial x 10 more confidence to come out.

Honey gourami or a school.of pygmy corydoras.

Also I have kept cpds and white cloud minnows. They work well together. The problem is that it is not easy get healthy cpds.

Dear @Richard40,

CPD's are too shy in my opinion. They are a bit hard to enjoy in a planted high tech setup.
Cardinal Tetra's are a nice choice but may get too big in terms of scale in a 60P depending on their strain...but if chosen to go with them I would go with 21 Cardinal Tetras.
This really depends on the scape and the plant choice in my opinion but I would also consider 21 or 34 Boraras Brigittae's together with 13 Trigonostigma Espei's.

You could also consider 20 Amano's and 20-40 NeoCaridina's of a chosen color.

How about a photograph of your scape?

Happy Fish Keeping :)

Cheers for all the info

The tank isn’t fully planted yet, will be tomorrow. Had a disaster with my big tank, which is on the thread DISASTER! But you get the idea. It’s a low tech heavily planted tank. The rock is holding down the Manzanita is wood at the moment which won’t be there.

You mention 21 or 34 Boraras Brigittae’s. Is this not too many?
Picture attached [ATTACH=full]134429[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 45B65FD5-6ACB-423C-91A9-90D5B1A306E6.jpeg
    45B65FD5-6ACB-423C-91A9-90D5B1A306E6.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 216
Any of the smaller blue eyes like psuedomugil luminatus would look good, threadfin rainbows are another that would look nice. If you were to go for the rasboras I’d recommend the espei rasboras as the red colour on them can really pop.

However you have pier aquatics near by so if I were you I’d try one of the newer tetras that are now around like kitty tetras or something rarer. I know pier has a ridiculous selection of fish. Everyone seems to keep the same shoalers in a planted aquarium, harlequins, cardinals etc (me included!) so if I were you I’d go for something abit more unusual. You’ll certainly have the choice at Pier.

cheers

Conor

I might consider 10 Lambchop rasbora which will shoal nicely at the front, giving the Emerald x 10 and Celestial x 10 more confidence to come out.

I've got 40-50 lambchops in with mine, seems to make no difference. The CPDs and Emerald are stunning fish but without anything else I think the tank will look a little empty

I did have the Emeralds in my 50 litre Aqua Nano at one point with cherry barbs and sparking gourami but still they spent most of the time hiding

Sparkling gourami are a fish I'd definitely look at if I were you

These look good, how many could you have in a 60 litre?

I'm no expert but I have 5 in my Aqua Nano 55 litre. They are nice and active, independent but don't bother each other. Colours have come on since they settled (looked a bit drab in the shop) and seem not to bother anything. They are in with cherry barbs and amano shrimp. Were in with the emeralds too until I moved them to my bigger tank (my choice not because of a problem). Can't comment on what they are like with cherry size shrimp though

Back