• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What happened to my trace mix ?

eminor

Hello, i don't exactly know what happened to my trace mix powder but i think there was some humidity in it somehow, it now stink strong, do someone know what happened ? thx

299359152_800345467670438_2483065141626135853_n.jpg

299307427_800345457670439_3497837186483201292_n.jpg

Humidity means water. Water is the prerequisite to microbial life. Nutrients aplenty, obviously. Micros-blends contain organic compounds. Brown colour seems to indicate that your iron oxidized into Fe(OH)3.
Throw it away, now it's worthless, and potentially damaging to you tank. :(

Humidity means water. Water is the prerequisite to microbial life. Nutrients aplenty, obviously. Micros-blends contain organic compounds. Brown colour seems to indicate that your iron oxidized into Fe(OH)3.
Throw it away, now it's worthless, and potentially damaging to you tank. :(
damn, weird thing is that i don't have any micronutrients deficiency using it, or maybe the substrate do the job

My recommendation concerning micronutrients (not only for you): Use ordinary salts (sulfates, chlorides) for Mn, Zn, Cu. You wouldn't need any 'stabilizators', meaning organic compounds. Such salts are stable eternally, dry and in solutions (but better not blend them with anything, just DI water!).
Iron is the only element where chelation makes sense. Get chelated iron and keep it separated from anything else. Keep in dark the stock solution, and the powder dry.

My recommendation concerning micronutrients (not only for you): Use ordinary salts (sulfates, chlorides) for Mn, Zn, Cu. You wouldn't need any 'stabilizators', meaning organic compounds. Such salts are stable eternally, dry and in solutions (but better not blend them with anything, just DI water!).
Iron is the only element where chelation makes sense. Get chelated iron and keep it separated from anything else. Keep in dark the stock solution, and the powder dry.
so in my trace mix, iron is the only that is bad or every other micronutrients are useless now, because i have a bottle of easylife ferro ?

i don't have any micronutrients deficiency using it
Perhaps you'd notice no micronutrients deficiency without it as well, except for iron...
i have a bottle of easylife ferro
... which you have in separate solution. (I don't know the formula of EasyLife Ferro, I only guess it's a blend of iron chelates.)

It's weird, FE(OH)3 is supposed to be hard to dissolve if not impossible, with the powder i can mix it near 99.9%, when using ascorbic acid 0.5g/1 liter, i get 100%, why ?

i do that to understand how it works, thx

Last edited:
Back