• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What HOB filter for 30l nano?

Hi,
I have a 30l nano that I have planted with Crypts and moss growing on wood, I also use co2 at a low rate of 6 bubbles a minute.
I want to remove my internal filter and use a HOB to give more space in the tank,so as I can use more plants but I want to keep a good circulation to distribute the co2 properly.

I've never had a HOB so I'm not sure if they are good at circulation so I would like some advice from people that do filter their tanks this way.

Thanks in advance.

@Richard Aldridge , The relatively new Seachem Tidal 35 is nice - small footprint, low/no noise, very easy to inspect and maintain and flow is easy to regulate. I own 4, mounted on opposite sides of my two 150 Liter (40 US Gallon) tanks. As for the circulation vs. CO2 specifically, I can't tell as I do not inject or have any experience with CO2, but I do know that I have adequate circulation throughout my densely planted tanks.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Funny thing Michael I was just on a site looking at this very same filter,not a bad price and the surface skimmer is a good idea,do they provide good circulation?

Funny thing Michael I was just on a site looking at this very same filter,not a bad price and the surface skimmer is a good idea,do they provide good circulation?
The build-in skimmer feature is fairly weak, but the small amount is probably just enough to take out any emergent buildup of surface film - it won't suck up flake food in my experience.

The filter comes with Matrix bio-media (porous stones that lasts forever with cleaning) and a sponge that can be cleaned almost indefinitely as well. Only thing you need to add in addition is some chemical filtration. Personally I use Purigen for water polishing and possibly some organic waste removal - but for that part I mostly rely on weekly WCs.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Back